Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT enquiry

Options
  • 08-03-2019 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I recently bought a car but wanted to hold off vrting for couple of weeks.
    I got it up the north and no proof of when it was brought in. The only thing is that the previous owner has sent of the export slip of the v5 to the dvla.

I have the v5 with no writing on it other than the little bit missing for the export. Will VRT know about the export date/

Thnks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Is it taxed? they seem to be looking at the date of tax expiry nowadays to indicate when a car was brought down from the north

They won't have any access to the V5 slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mikeamoia

Yep, has mot and tax in the north till October but i don't have any proof of it but I have mot

I've actually misplaced the mot cert :-/

i think the UK tax and MoT status can be brought up online, be worth doing a screenshot.

Write out a receipt with whatever date you want on it I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

mikeamoia wrote: »
    I recently bought a car but wanted to hold off vrting for couple of weeks.
    I got it up the north and no proof of when it was brought in. The only thing is that the previous owner has sent of the export slip of the v5 to the dvla.

I have the v5 with no writing on it other than the little bit missing for the export. Will VRT know about the export date/

Thnks

“Couple of weeks”; you have 30 days which is twice the time you want or do you mean months on end. No problem just falsify a receipt and employ deception!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

The tax is not transferrable. Once the export slip gets to the DVLA, the sellers name comes off the vehicle.

I'm not interested in the tax I'm just wondering can the vrt know when the car entered the country just by the previous owner sending off the export slip to the dvla. I wanted to wait over the 30 days due to unforeseen expenditure. Also the car is parked up so no risk of being caught etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

You need the full V5 to register the car, there is no other way around it if the seller has sent off the export slip.

I have the v5 except not the export slip(section 11). You only need the first page of it ,sections 1-8, to vrt it. Thanks for the help guys but still doesn't answer my question about the revenue/ vrt knowing when the car entered the country.

You need the full V5 to register the car, there is no other way around it if the seller has sent off the export slip.

he has the bit that matters of the V5C, the export slip doesn't make any difference to re-registering the car, but that's not what he's asking.

I think the answer is they could find out possibly if they enquired with the DVLA but are not likely to do so. The date on the slip isn't evidence of the actual date of entry to the state

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    he has the bit that matters of the V5C, the export slip doesn't make any difference to re-registering the car, but that's not what he's asking.

I think the answer is they could find out possibly if they enquired with the DVLA but are not likely to do so. The date on the slip isn't evidence of the actual date of entry to the state

Exactly what I'm asking! Wonder how they would find out so? anybody know for sure? thanks guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

Exactly what I'm asking! Wonder how they would find out so? anybody know for sure? thanks guys! :)

They won’t. You’re worrying about nothing. Falsify a hand written receipt. The VRT won’t care.

i don't know how it works now. I had heard that they look at the date the car was last taxed on NI imports and take the date the tax ran out to determine the date of import. Not very scientific but I guess they have a quick look at the relevant website to check the tax/SORN situation and that ,in this case, will be fine, so I'd not worry, just have a receipt as suggested

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

Isambard wrote: »
    i don't know how it works now. I had heard that they look at the date the car was last taxed on NI imports and take the date the tax ran out to determine the date of import. Not very scientific but I guess they have a quick look at the relevant website to check the tax/SORN situation and that ,in this case, will be fine, so I'd not worry, just have a receipt as suggested
    They cannot deem tax expiration date as the import date.

dodzy wrote: »
    They cannot deem tax expiration date as the import date.

I think they can do whatever they want to determine if the car has been in the State for longer than the 30 days. The tax being expired for a month or two is an indication that the car has been here for a while and they'll ask for proof of date of entry I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

They will go by the last date of tax if a handwritten receipt was given on a N.Ireland import.
    (And if no shipping documents are provided from UK import)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

You can bring the car for VRT inspection and then pay later.

michellie wrote: »
    They will go by the last date of tax if a handwritten receipt was given on a N.Ireland import.
    (And if no shipping documents are provided from UK import)

Is that the last date of the tax disc or date tax was paid? seems a silly question but just making sure

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Is that the last date of the tax disc or date tax was paid? seems a silly question but just making sure

The YK seller tells DVLA that he has sold the car and gets a refund to that date.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The YK seller tells DVLA that he has sold the car and gets a refund to that date.

so it is infact from when the export slip goes to the dvla?

• Advertisement
Advertisement