Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capital Gains Tax

Options
  • 07-03-2019 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any experience with CGT?

We are about to sell our property. We will have owned it for 4.5 years by the time it goes on the market. 3 of those years we lived in it as our residence, 18 months it was let to tenants.

Am I right that we are liable for CGT? It's my understanding that we may get partial relief for the years we lived there. I will contact Revenue when things start moving (urgh) but just thought I'd see if anyone has been through a similar situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The solicitor handling the sale should be able to handle this fairly simply. Broadly you will be taxed on 1/9th of any gain arising (less any available exempt annual amount) based on the facts but you should take advice from the solicitor.

Advertisement