Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Build: Issues

Options
  • 07-03-2019 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am currently building a PC and have the problem that the machine does not wake up with an irregular CPU fan.

I have the following parts (among others):
    * MSI X470 GAMING PLUS ATX Motherboard for AMD AM4
    * AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (105W)
    * Corsair TX-M Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold
    * Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz

I have a picture of the mainboard here (from MSI page: ) that I will refer to. msi-x470_gaming_plus-cover.png

I added my CPU with standard Rizen cooler and connected the CPU cooler CPU Fan1 (upper right between the labels 'Core Boost' und 'DDR4 Boost). From the PSU, I have exactly one 8-pin connector attached to the CPU Power1 plug next to the CPU (upper left corner in the image). I attached the mainboard to power (mid-right side of picture). I added my RAM and the LED/on-off/reset etc. pins on the lower end. I left out the SSD / storage for now. I connected a keyboard and a screen to the internal GFX.

When turning on the PC, the fan first runs, but then slows down and goes on and off inconsistently. I have a screen attached to the internal GFX for testing and I get no signal. I am expecting that I should get a a basic output with access to BIOS even though I have not connected storage yet.

I have the suspicion that the CPU does not get enough power and that I need also to add the 4-pin CPU power plug next to the 8-pin (upper left).

Strangely enough, there is no additional cable with a 4-pin coming with the PSU.

Am I on the wrong path here? Any suggestions? What would be the best way to test this stepwise?

Thanks, A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ryzen 2700X does not have an internal graphics unit (iGPU), you need a GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Ryzen 2700X does not have an internal graphics unit (iGPU), you need a GPU.

So, basically the board has something reserved (HDMI, DVI and VGA connectors provided by the board) that is not provided by the CPU. I feel a bit silly now asking this question :D

Can you explain this strange on/off behaviour of the CPU fan? I checked connectors with the fan. Is it something that is normal that the CPU fan does not run continuously ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Probably the fan doesn't need to run when the processor is idling with zero load (i.e. in BIOS).

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

So, it seems that never had a problem. Sounds good so far. Would be interested what others think. Thank you K.O.Kiki !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Inviere

ampleforth wrote: »
    Would be interested what others think.

Not much more to say really, K.O.Kiki hit the nail on the head. Get yourself a GPU :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 8builder

As K.O.Kiki has explained that Ryzen CPUs do not have iGPU. You should get a GPU

Advertisement