Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Holding shares without an account

• 06-03-2019 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 Synode

Hi,

I invested some money in Bank of Ireland shares years ago. They're currently held in a Goodbody online account. I haven't done any trading since I bought them, and am currently paying Goodbody a fee of about €75 quid per year.

Is there a way I can hold the shares without having to pay any fees? Can I just request the share certificates be sent to me?

Sorry for all the questions. All advice would be much appreciated. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey

Open a Degiro account then transfer them over https://www.degiro.ie/helpcenter/faq/my-portfolio/1121

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ littlevillage

You'll probably find that Goodbody will try to charge you a few quid to transfer the shares to Degiro.

Davy wanted €100 per position from me to transfer my portfolio over to Degiro :(

I didn't bother in the end...just continued to stump up the €100-ish per year account maintenance fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 Synode

Does somebody have to hold them for you? Is there no way to get share certificates and just hold them until want to sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey

Have you a degiro account, handiest place to hold and sell them. I think nearly everyone here has one.
    Good week to flip them if your in the green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 Synode

Have you a degiro account, handiest place to hold and sell them. I think nearly everyone here has one.
    Good week to flip them if your in the green.

I don't but I'll open one if there's no other option. Why is it a good week to flip

• Advertisement
Advertisement