Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tolkien

Options
  • 06-03-2019 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭

Starring Nicholas Hoult, Lily Collins & Colm Meaney
    TOLKIEN explores the formative years of the orphaned author as he finds friendship, love and artistic inspiration among a group of fellow outcasts at school. This takes him into the outbreak of World War I, which threatens to tear the “fellowship” apart. All of these experiences would inspire Tolkien to write his famous Middle-Earth novels.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Big Tolkien fan.

Looks interesting.
    More "inspired by" a true story than "based on" one I'd imagine!

Always liked Nicholas Hoult, too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The approach is ... interesting, I'll give it that. Weaving LOTR dragons and aesthetics into the WW1 scenes could mark it as something a little unique, but otherwise I'm a little exhausted by boilerplate Hollywood biopics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Trailer got my attention, looking forward to it now !

Have read that both Tolkien and C.S. Lewis acknowledged their experience of combat and the trenches might have inspired some elements of the worlds they created in books.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,220 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think I'd rather rewatch the LOTR films than this.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think I'd rather rewatch the LOTR films than this.
    I'd usually rewatch the LOTR films than pretty much any new movie.

But sometimes it's alright to take a breather and look at something new. :)

Otherwise I'd never have seen Paddington 2!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

On my must-see list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Might catch if only for the fact it won't be Peter Jackson ****ting all over it like the other movies.

Peter Jaskson's LOTR trilogy is one of the greatest achievements in cinema.

Even the Hobbit movies can't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Dades wrote: »
    Peter Jaskson's LOTR trilogy is one of the greatest achievements in cinema.
    Yup.
    Even the Hobbit movies can't change that.
    They sure leave a sour aftertaste all the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Recently half-watched the Battle of the 5 Armies and it was so inert and flaccid, I did start to wonder if my love of the LoTR trilogy was purely down to rose tinted glasses & nostalgia.

So I did rewatch the (extended) trilogy and by god it's a spectacular feat of cinema; a legitimately fantastic suite of films and character. Yeah it has its flaws but they're so minor it can't distract from a genuine epic of the ages.

A film essayist on YouTube did a great (if long) breakdown of where and how The Hobbit was so ballsed up. She actually flew to NZ to chat to some folks who acted & worked on the film, and it gives a good insight at how toxic and dysfunctional the entire production was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

pixelburp wrote: »
    Recently half-watched the Battle of the 5 Armies and it was so inert and flaccid, I did start to wonder if my love of the LoTR trilogy was purely down to rose tinted glasses & nostalgia.

So I did rewatch the (extended) trilogy and by god it's a spectacular feat of cinema; a legitimately fantastic suite of films and character. Yeah it has its flaws but they're so minor it can't distract from a genuine epic of the ages.

A film essayist on YouTube did a great (if long) breakdown of where and how The Hobbit was so ballsed up. She actually flew to NZ to chat to some folks who acted & worked on the film, and it gives a good insight at how toxic and dysfunctional the entire production was.

I was just watching that Youtube breakdown last night, it's long but well worth checking out in full, the 'Hobbit Law' was a disgrace. I've actively avoided watching the last two Hobbit films because I don't want to ruin my childhood memories of the book.

Anyway I hope this movie is interesting and not just a biopic by the numbers.

I was just watching that Youtube breakdown last night, it's long but well worth checking out in full, the 'Hobbit Law' was a disgrace. I've actively avoided watching the last two Hobbit films because I don't want to ruin my childhood memories of the book.

Anyway I hope this movie is interesting and not just a biopic by the numbers.

Yeah, I hadn't known of the 'Hobbit Law' until I watched that series, and as you say, a minor disgrace that seems to have crippled the NZ film industry.

She's a very good essayist in generally; I think she has a proper academic background & knows her onions, presents some interesting videos on sexual / gender issues in an accessible, non-preachy manner. Definitely one of the best, least patronising analysis on Michael Bay's Transformers I've watched :D

Advertisement