Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essential Cycling Gear

Options
  • 06-03-2019 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Hey all.

Looking for help in getting myself ready for pre-work training spins.

Have shorts, jersey helmet, overshoes and light.

I probably need Arm Warmers, light weight waterproof jacket.

Typically it'll be 60-90 minute spins, once the mornings are brighter.

Anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Check out Galibier, great Irish company doing good value essentials like arm/knee/legwarmers and everything else you could possibly need.

You'd still want to be keeping your knees covered in the mornings when it's cool so definitely go for kneewarmers at least. Their Mistral Lite Gilet would be a great thing to have as well, waterproof and breathable, packable as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't forget the mornings are due to get noticeably darker in about 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

don't forget the mornings are due to get noticeably darker in about 3 weeks.

Sunrise today - 0701
    Sunrise March 31st (after the hour change) - 0701

so if you can cycle this week, you'll be ok after the hour change too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Hey all.

Looking for help in getting myself ready for pre-work training spins.

Have shorts, jersey helmet, overshoes and light.

I probably need Arm Warmers, light weight waterproof jacket.

Typically it'll be 60-90 minute spins, once the mornings are brighter.

Anything else?

The bike......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gloves.

...and you mentioned a 'light' - shouldn't that be 'lights' (front & rear).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Agree with gloves. Should the worst happen, they will save you from ripping the skin of the palms of your hands. Learned that the hard way last year. Don't like wearing them, but wouldn't go without now.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Few specials on jerseys/softshells in Lidl starting tomorrow

Can anyone confirm the quality of the Lidl gear, from my own research it seems to be a bit hit and miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

CormacH94 wrote: »

Can anyone confirm the quality of the Lidl gear, from my own research it seems to be a bit hit and miss?

shorts/tights aren't great, but they don't have any tomorrow.

other stuff is fine for what it is, it might not last you years but at least it's cheap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

main issue i've had with their stuff is fit; they often seem to be made for bizarre body shapes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

CormacH94 wrote: »

The jackets are grand for short spins in cold weather but too heavy if it is mild and get sweaty on longer spins. Grand for late Autumn, Winter, early Spring runs of max an hour or so. Anything longer, not so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

main issue i've had with their stuff is fit; they often seem to be made for bizarre body shapes.

Lidl and Aldi have a fairly decent returns policy though right?
    smacl wrote: »
    The jackets are grand for short spins in cold weather but too heavy if it is mild and get sweaty on longer spins. Grand for late Autumn, Winter, early Spring runs of max an hour or so. Anything longer, not so good.

Great, thanks for the reply, any recommendations on better brands in and around the same price range? (probably asking the impossible)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Did someone ask to see my secret shame?

Oh ok then...

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Did someone ask to see my secret shame?

Oh ok then...

Checklist for holidays?

OP, what size/height are you and where are you, I have some gear I am just about to unload, some still with tags on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Checklist for holidays?

OP, what size/height are you and where are you, I have some gear I am just about to unload, some still with tags on.

Medium to Large depending on body pant ha ha

Just realized i forgot to account for daylight savings...so no pre-work spins till May:o:o Don't like cycling in the dark

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

If you are Dublin based, I have some tights and jerseys, size large you can have free if they are of use to you.
    Muddyfox brand, not for long cycles, but good for commuters/2 hour cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

In terms of essentials outside of jersey, shorts and shoes, a fully waterproof jacket/gilet, overshoes and gloves.

I previously had a water resistant jacket that wouldn't stop the lightest sun shower as well as overshoes that did actually say waterproof but weren't. The jacket is a race jacket so super lightweight but 100% waterproof.

Bib shorts, gloves, mudguards also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

DaveyDave wrote: »
    In terms of essentials outside of jersey, shorts and shoes, a fully waterproof jacket/gilet, overshoes and gloves.

I previously had a water resistant jacket that wouldn't stop the lightest sun shower as well as overshoes that did actually say waterproof but weren't. The jacket is a race jacket so super lightweight but 100% waterproof.

Bib shorts, gloves, mudguards also.

Can anyone suggest a good waterproof jacket, preferably something that can be rolled up into a jersey pocket if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest a good waterproof jacket, preferably something that can be rolled up into a jersey pocket if possible?

I have something like this: http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=101860

Advertisement