Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common Area Maintenance in Estates

Options
  • 06-03-2019 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get some opinions or to hear experiences of dealing with Management Companies (MC) not maintaining common areas to a good standard in Estates.

In my case, I have a Common Area outside my house - its not owned by me, its supposed to be managed and kept up to scratch by the MC. It serves the purpose of a front garden, is fairly large - but I do not own it.

The MC are controlled by a board of directors made up of some residents.

I have been in touch with the MC sporadically for probably 2 years and nothing of substance has been done to the area in that time.

I pay a management fee every year.

I'd like to know what, if anything, are my options in this scenario? Is withholding my management fees an option to get things moving? Feels like I'm going around in circles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Homer

Have you been to any of the AGMs since you bought the property? You the owners can get rid of the MC but only if enough people are in agreement the they are not performing their duties.
    There could well be an issue with cashflow so not paying your fees will only make that worse!
    Speak to other residents and see what they think and attend any AGMs in relation to the development and make your voice heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Homer wrote: »
    Have you been to any of the AGMs since you bought the property? You the owners can get rid of the MC but only if enough people are in agreement the they are not performing their duties.
    There could well be an issue with cashflow so not paying your fees will only make that worse!
    Speak to other residents and see what they think and attend any AGMs in relation to the development and make your voice heard.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, have been to a few but the ones I have attended don't get down to that level of detail.
    The MC are fine and have brought in a new company to manage the estate (cut grass / bushes etc) - but remedial works to common areas don't seem to have formed part of that. Not many other houses have common areas attached to them, those that do have a much smaller one so some maintain them themselves. Mine is quite large as its an end of terrace so wraps to the side too.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Pretend its the 1960s, and take it on as a personal project. That way you can also add personal touches e,g, plant choice, wild flower area etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Pretend its the 1960s, and take it on as a personal project. That way you can also add personal touches e,g, plant choice, wild flower area etc.

Yep. Get a lawnmower, plant some flowers, maintain it, especially if you're the main beneficiary of that space. It will ultimately improve your quality of life and the value of your home and your neighbours will appreciate it.

Letting it go, or waiting for others to take control could see it getting neglected and falling into disrepair which could lead to problems for your property down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

Thanks for the reply. Yes, have been to a few but the ones I have attended don't get down to that level of detail.

Even if the AGm rigidly sticks to the agenda you should be able to ask the question during AOB and have it minuted.

No harm emailing in the agent. Should be a very straightforward response to simple question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,065 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Be careful about maintaining and planting it yourself. The management company could decide to deal with it and rip all your stuff up, happened a friend in a similar situation. Deal with the directors to get action taken, if the current lot don't sort it, put yourself up for election at the next AGM. Nobody else will protect your investment like you will.

Advertisement