Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360GB v. 240GB broadband: worth paying extra?

Options
  • 06-03-2019 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

I appreciate this is a sort of 'How long is a piece of string' question. The 360GB with Virgin is €12 per month/€144 per year more expensive than the 240GB. However, I wonder would the average person ever need more than 240GB? I want a fast internet connection, and I will use it for internet searches, emailing and to cast from the laptop to the tv screen but that's about it. I won't be downloading games or videos. Is the 240GB good enough for this?

I suppose I'm just trying to get a feel for the practical consequence in terms of internet service of these speeds. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

moved to broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No, for what you’re doing 240mb would be more than enough. I’d have similar usage to what you describe, I went from 360 to 50mb and honestly haven’t noticed any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

If you have to ask, then the answer is no, you don't need it. Only people with specific requirements need it, and they know why they need it. I'm on 240Mb myself with several computers, phones and other smart devices and we're never maxing out the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

A downgrade to the 120Mb line would suit you and your money better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

A downgrade to the 120Mb line would suit you and your money better.

There's no 120mb now only 240/360mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,859 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

no - 99% of domestic users are probably fine with just 100mb/s (though if you do a lot of uploading you might find the extra bandwidth there useful)

I downgraded from 360 to 240, no noticeable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

The packages are now 250, 360 or 500 Mb/sec

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

The packages are now 250, 360 or 500 Mb/sec

Wow, nice, was browsing their site yesterday and this was not on it:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think everyone who is currently on the 250 and 360 packages stay on those speeds. The 500 is an extra 5 euros per month, compared to the 360 which was the maximum plan up to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109614285&postcount=146

Told and sent a email for E64 a month i get limitless 500Mb

• Advertisement
Advertisement