Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating downstairs ceiling

Options
  • 05-03-2019 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

We have hollow concrete slab between floors (unsealed at the ends).
    Underneath are 50x50 battens with 50x50mm counterbattens attached.
    We have UFH upstairs with 50mm insulation & 50mm screed.
    Our stairwell opening is 800x3600mm.

Is it worth insulating between ceiling & 12.5mm plasterboard slab ?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

To what end?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Riar_

porrige wrote: »
    Hi,

We have hollow concrete slab between floors (unsealed at the ends).
    Underneath are 50x50 battens with 50x50mm counterbattens attached.
    We have UFH upstairs with 50mm insulation & 50mm screed.
    Our stairwell opening is 800x3600mm.

Is it worth insulating between ceiling & 12.5mm plasterboard slab ?

Thank you.
    Sound or warmth?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 porrige

Riar_ wrote: »
    Sound or warmth?

Warmth & energy efficieny. Not concerned about sound.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Don’t bother, you’d be better to sort out the air-tightness and duct-runs/grill positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 porrige

BryanF wrote: »
    Don’t bother, you’d be better to sort out the air-tightness and duct-runs/grill positions.

And assuming the junctions are airtight, but air from wall cavity (150mm platinum ecobead) can penetrate the hollow cores ? ...I just don’t see the point of heating up 200mm hollow core slab with 50mm of insulation on top plus open ends.
    - but I’m no expert & perhaps I’m missing something ? - maybe danger of condensation within suspended ceiling void ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

porrige wrote: »
    And assuming the junctions are airtight, but air from wall cavity (150mm platinum ecobead) can penetrate the hollow cores ? ...I just don’t see the point of heating up 200mm hollow core slab with 50mm of insulation on top plus open ends.
    - but I’m no expert & perhaps I’m missing something ? - maybe danger of condensation within suspended ceiling void ?

I don’t see the point insulating an internal surface. Solve the air-tightness and thermal building envelope.

Advertisement