Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPTV for basic UK terrestrial channels (and Irish)?

Options
  • 05-03-2019 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Is there a basic and reliable IPTV service I can pay for that will give me the BBC, ITV, and C4 channels? Plan to pick up Irish channels using an indoor aerial, but if I could get them all from one device so I would not have to change HDMI source while browsing all the better.

I use a Smart DNS service for the UK Players already, and some if not all offer a live stream option, but I would like to be able to browse through live channels just using the remote instead of loading different apps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is there a basic and reliable IPTV service I can pay for that will give me the BBC, ITV, and C4 channels?

There is no such service. From the 26 counties, you can either install a dish and pick up the Freesat signal or, if you live near the border or are at a high elevation on parts of the east coast, you may be able to pick up the (terrestrial) Freeview service from NI or Wales with an aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

AerTV
    iBox
    TVMucho

I'd be interested to know the legal status of these - I assume AerTV is legal as it's owned by Magnet; the others have been in operation for years, have apps on the Apple and Android stores, are registered companies and offer 7 day catchup etc; so they're not the same as the hooky IPTV services offering 2000 channels.

What's the story with them? Are they using the FilmOn "aerial as a service" excuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭w4ntedman

I use a vpn and tvplayer.com free service for the basic channels - stick in a uk address and postcode when signing up.
    You would have to change sources to go from saorview to tvplayer app (mine is loaded on amazon fire but afaik should be ok on other devices too) but could scroll between uk channels with the one remote

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

w4ntedman wrote: »
    I use a vpn and tvplayer.com free service for the basic channels - stick in a uk address and postcode when signing up.
    You would have to change sources to go from saorview to tvplayer app (mine is loaded on amazon fire but afaik should be ok on other devices too) but could scroll between uk channels with the one remote

Zattoo from Switzerland is a good shout too. Loads of freely available television streams from all over Europe.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Theres no discussion of circumventing regional restrictions here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I use iBox with Chromecast, 10 euro a month for 50+ channels for about 5 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

w4ntedman wrote: »

Thanks for the recommendation, I have been using tvplayer.com the last few days, seemed not to work until I put my debit card details into it, even though I have selected the free service.

Can you please confirm by switching sources to saorview you mean regular broadcast stations rather than some app?

TVplayer.com have a nice app for Roku, which is great. There is an Android app, but no Android TV app (my STBs are Roku and Nvidia Shield), although I have read you can use the normal Android app with some other sideloaded app to change the screen orientation. Any experience with this? I wonder how well that would work with the remote, I have found using a mouse or an airmouse for basic selection a PITA.

If you use a Roku have you noticed the menu that shows what's on currently seems to be out of date?

I also installed the tvplayer.com addon on Kodi although it did not work. I found the TVCatchup addon does work. If there was just a working Kodi app for Irish terrestrial streams, I am sure I could link all of the streams together with some kodi EPG, and browse channels with the press of a button, which is what I would really like.

Have you heard about this upcoming Freesat app that is being launched? It will include streams for live terrestrial TV and on demand catchup, initially on IOS, later 2019 on Android - hopefully Android TV also!
    lertsnim wrote: »
    Zattoo from Switzerland is a good shout too. Loads of freely available television streams from all over Europe.

Still need to have a proper look at Zattoo, but after a quick glance at their website it seems their free service offers the UK terrestrial stations!
    I use iBox with Chromecast, 10 euro a month for 50+ channels for about 5 years now.

I would be prepared to pay for their €3 plan, but that leaves out one of the main channels, as does their €7 plan, which I guess is to incentivise customers to opt for their €10 plan, but I do not want to pay that much.

I setup Zattoo on the Nvidia Shield last night, and it works great, even integrating with Google's Live Channels which is the actual app I use.

If I could just get the Irish channels to integrate somehow I would be set.

Does anyone know a free service that will allow streaming Irish channels?

I read somewhere that if you have broadband only with virgin, but you connect a cable from one of the ports on the wall into a TV you get 15/16 SD channels free. My modem uses the TV port on the old NTL box on the wall, so I am not sure how that would work, maybe with some kind of splitter?

I was thinking perhaps with a USB device allowing me to connect an aerial?
    There is one called Tablo, but at $70 it is not cheap, and apparently if you want the program guide you need to pay a subscription! I would hope Google Live Channels would just generate the program guide itself, but I will look for something cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I read somewhere that if you have broadband only with virgin, but you connect a cable from one of the ports on the wall into a TV you get 15/16 SD channels free. My modem uses the TV port on the old NTL box on the wall, so I am not sure how that would work, maybe with some kind of splitter?

that's the old analog service - it's being switched off AFAIK (might have already happened).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Is a sat dish not an option?

• Advertisement

I rent in a building where they are prohibited so assuming I can get a signal at the balcony in the living room, it would have to be hidden on the balcony somehow, and either I chance drilling through an external wall and hiding the hole whenever I move out, or buy a flat cable to go through a window - which is open and closed daily. The other option would be to place one at a different balcony in my room, and maybe send the signal around the apartment network using something like a HDHomerun, but for satellite and terrestrial signals?

Something like this might be easier and cheaper: Geniatech MyGica® DVB-T2/T USB Full HD TV Stick Tuner T230 USB2.0 HDTV Watch, Pause & Record Digital Freeview Hi Definition and Standard Definition TV on your PC with Antenna Remote Control - Desktop and Laptop Compatible Stick for Windows 10, 8, 7 / Vista / XP

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yeah. A communal dish might be a really good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭w4ntedman

A bit late to reply sorry I forgot about it. Not much info to give anyway. I did mean switching input from broadcast channels to the device.
    No experience with other devices sorry it worked fine on the fire and that has a remote so didn't explore much further

Advertisement