Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build completion date - should we expect delays?

Options
  • 05-03-2019 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has experience of this.

Been told to expect a completion date on new build of late May/early June. I'm guessing that's best case scenario. Is there an average I should add on to that (i.e. expect two more months)?

Obviously nobody knows for certain, but trying to sort out new childcare and our current one requires two months' notice - so trying to figure out a ballpark month we might expect to move in.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭TedsRevengeP

In the same boat so interested in this. Although i'd say there's probably no way to tell for sure. Might have to just take them at their word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I was told mid to late July and got the keys in mid-October and there was no particular reason to account for the delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

We were told closing before Christmas, then early March, got keys last week in April. Two months are the absolute minimum in my experience. There is also week builders holiday in April which might lead to more delays (they will try to finish houses for snagging rather than keep working on those with closing date in month or two)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Its always later than they think. Always!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It can depend on location, whether they are been inspected by the council, whether they get all of their certification in place for BCAR certs etc

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,572 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What is the current state of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Plan for delays, one bad storm or a no deal Brexit could have a significant impact on dates.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/construction-brexit-housing-crisis-4524909-Mar2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Who told you early May/late June? If it's the estate agent, ignore that completely. If it's the site foreman, you have a better chance.

Mine was particularly painful - I was told April 2017 (which I never believed, they were only just about starting foundations at that point) - I got the keys July 2018 :D That really was unusual though.

Even when they've finished building and you've done the snagging and signed off, there's always "one more delay" while the solicitors lose bits of paper, or someone remembers they forgot to put the roof on.

If you can have a quiet word with the site foreman, explain that you're trying to arrange childcare/schools etc and ask for a rough estimate (but promise not to hold him to it), (s)he'll give you a much more realistic idea. Then add a month onto that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭OctoberMammy

Thanks everyone for the replies! It would actually suit us better to move around August/September, so hopefully you're all correct :D
    awec wrote: »
    What is the current state of the house?

It's got four walls and a roof and scaffolding outside.... that's about all we can see from the road so far. They seem to be coming along quickly enough although I know that's just the exterior.

Thoie - yes, it was the agent. Good idea on trying to ask the foreman, we'll look into that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks everyone for the replies! It would actually suit us better to move around August/September, so hopefully you're all correct :D

It's got four walls and a roof and scaffolding outside.... that's about all we can see from the road so far. They seem to be coming along quickly enough although I know that's just the exterior.

Thoie - yes, it was the agent. Good idea on trying to ask the foreman, we'll look into that.

Is it a development in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Octobermammy, our dates were always confirmed by the foreman. Means nothing I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭OctoberMammy

kceire wrote: »
    Is it a development in Dublin?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

In our estate a big source of delays has typically been getting the electricity turned on. Keep an eye out for that milestone (you'll see light bulbs on in the house).

From that point you'll still have a month or two before being called to snag but the actual completion date should be more certain once the electric is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Hani Kosti wrote: »
    Octobermammy, our dates were always confirmed by the foreman. Means nothing I'm afraid

The foreman is "officially" supposed to keep the company line and restate whatever dates are being given out. If you dance around the topic they'll be more likely to give you a nod and a wink. So "There's a 16 week lead time on those sofas/washing machines/stuff, if I order now they'd deliver them here the first week of June, do you think that would be safe enough or should we hold off ordering a while?" Or your own real example (but puff it up) - "we have to give 3 month's notice to the creche, and really can't afford to be double paying - if it was you, would you give the notice now?"

If the foreman is anyway decent (and most humans are), they might say something like "ah, I'd hold off for 6 weeks". The main thing is that if they do say that, don't go roaring and screaming to the agent/solicitor and land them in trouble, or they'll be less inclined to keep you updated.

Advertisement