Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiber to the home installation cost

Options
  • 05-03-2019 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

So today I got my fiber to the home connection installed from Pure telecom, free of charge.

I live in a rural location, KN had to come in twice to finalise installation.

First 2 lads ran the copper cable from the nearest post to the house about 50-100m installed the box etc. Took them more or less 3h.

Today second time to run fiber cable, 3 lads, for about 3-4 hours again, hoist hired to clear the trees, traffic management in place as they were crossing fairly busy road, about 300-400m of cable installed, box and the rest of stuff.

Broadband is up and running, happy days.

I can only imagine how much all of this is going to cost.

So the question is who the hell pays the bill???

P.s my contract with provider is 18 months working out at only around 870e for that period

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

mashed13 wrote: »
    So today I got my fiber to the home connection installed from Pure telecom, free of charge.

I live in a rural location, KN had to come in twice to finalise installation.

First 2 lads ran the copper cable from the nearest post to the house about 50-100m installed the box etc. Took them more or less 3h.

Today second time to run fiber cable, 3 lads, for about 3-4 hours again, hoist hired to clear the trees, traffic management in place as they were crossing fairly busy road, about 300-400m of cable installed, box and the rest of stuff.

Broadband is up and running, happy days.

I can only imagine how much all of this is going to cost.

P.s my contract with provider is 18 months working out at only around 870e for that period

Pure Telecom will have paid €170 to open eir who will foot the remainder of cost.

By the way what package are you on for €870? Looking at the site 150Mb is (€39*3) + (€65*15) = €1092

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mashed13

Pure Telecom will have paid €170 to open eir who will foot the remainder of cost.

By the way what package are you on for €870? Looking at the site 150Mb is (€39*3) + (€65*15) = €1092

How would eir profit from all that? I know portion of my bill will be going to them but that is nothing even if you try spreading it over the years

Package Ive got is (35*6)(55*12) and free installation as mentioned

How would eir profit from all that? I know portion of my bill will be going to them but that is nothing even if you try spreading it over the years

Package Ive got is (35*6)(55*12) and free installation as mentioned

Bear in mind that if you switch provider in 18 months they'll get another €170 from the new ISP for what is an electronic switchover. If you were to stay with Pure for 20 years I don't know if they would be making a profit on you. They've obviously done their sums and over time, on average, they are going to make money otherwise they aren't very good at business.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mashed13

Bear in mind that if you switch provider in 18 months they'll get another €170 from the new ISP for what is an electronic switchover. If you were to stay with Pure for 20 years I don't know if they would be making a profit on you. They've obviously done their sums and over time, on average, they are going to make money otherwise they aren't very good at business.

Id say so, as the installation costs were in the region of thousands for sure.

Could government be involved in any way? Through the likes of programs where theyd support rural communities connect to the broadband and such?

Id say so, as the installation costs were in the region of thousands for sure.

Could government be involved in any way? Through the likes of programs where theyd support rural communities connect to the broadband and such?

The Government are not involved in this rollout. It is purely private, though they have an agreement with the Government to pass a certain number of premises by a certain date.

If the National Broadband Plan fails or is rejected on cost grounds who knows what may happen in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

If eir aren't getting anything (beyond initial 170) out of spending thousands installation a single fiber connection in rural areas like the OP's, why are the doing it at all? when I lived in the inner city in Dublin 2 years ago we had crap broadband through eir/resellers, and in my large estate in South Dublin the max they can offer through is 9mb.

For the thousands they spent on one
    single connection, surely they could have installed 20 or 30 fiber to the home connections in an urban area. Whole thing is odd from a business pov, unless there's some sweeteners in it for them directly/indirectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP you were lucky next 4 houses up the road to me had a total of 12 visits (4 each) and one house even had a massive pole put in the verge (some 15 feet from another Pole) because the first guys said they needed it and couldn't go on the roof, the next guys that came didn't use the pole and went on the roof :rolleyes: Now we have a new local feature which has already got the name "the goal posts".

The local Eir guy who is a friend of one of those neighbors said not to go with Eir as their service was dreadful and they Eir didn't care as they were making money out of the network, which they own, anyway. All above went with vodafone.

If eir aren't getting anything (beyond initial 170) out of spending thousands installation a single fiber connection in rural areas like the OP's, why are the doing it at all? when I lived in the inner city in Dublin 2 years ago we had crap broadband through eir/resellers, and in my large estate in South Dublin the max they can offer through is 9mb.

For the thousands they spent on one
    single connection, surely they could have installed 20 or 30 fiber to the home connections in an urban area. Whole thing is odd from a business pov, unless there's some sweeteners in it for them directly/indirectly.

They are getting a monthly rental for each connection as well. I'd dispute the "thousands... on one single connection" narrative also. It's likely the work they undertook facilitated more than one connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Easy installations. Your install won't turn a profit for OE for years but urban ones and easy rural ones will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭paddy19

dispute ""thousands... on one single connection"

Possibly true but still many multiples of the cost of wiring up a housing estate of 50 houses.

What is going to be really interesting is the number of people in rural areas who sign up to relativity expensive fibre when they can get low
    cost local supplier or 4G that meets there needs.

Also interesting that anyone who wants an ESB connection can pay up to €1,950 for a standard house connection plus 50e ish per meter for trenching costs if they are performing this work for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'd happily pay a couple of thousand to have fiber installed here, its much better than nothing and certainly better than a dodgy (thou very cheap) three 4G connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

paddy19 wrote: »
    What is going to be really interesting is the number of people in rural areas who sign up to relativity expensive fibre when they can get low
    cost local supplier or 4G that meets there needs.

2019? Sure. 2021? Maybe. 2022, they'll come running.

We cannot provide WISP/MNO capacity to match demand.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

First 2 lads ran the copper cable from the nearest post to the house about 50-100m installed the box etc.

Why in the name of dog did they install a copper line for FTTH? Did you specifically request a copper line?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Why in the name of dog did they install a copper line for FTTH? Did you specifically request a copper line?

Also ... are you sure, you have FTTH ? and not FTTC ... aka VDSL ? ... At 35/month, that's probably what you got. Fibre to the Cabinet ... not really fibre .. just VDSL.

/M

Advertisement