Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help in Making a Career Decision

Options
  • 05-03-2019 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I recently moved from home to Dublin to pursue a new career with a new company. This is something I admit that I did not want to do but opportunities are scarce in companies back home and after many times trying to get a job close to home inevitably failed so I felt like i would take the bullet and go reluctantly.

I was just one week starting in my new role when a company close to home rang me looking to see if they could interview me for a role I had applied to with them previously. The role is a 9 month contract but it is a maternity cover role therefore the risk with not being kept on after the 9 months are up were high, where as I am looking for a more long term role, a place and role where I can settle and hopefully further my career. As I had started in my new role (11 month contract and not a maternity cover role & possible extension afterwards) I declined to go for a face to face interview as it would look bad taking time off work so soon after starting but as it is a company that I am very interested in working for they agreed to do a phone interview with me. I did not think that I would pass this level but the following week (last week) they asked for me to come to the site for another face to face interview and to put a twist in it they also asked for me to do a medical as well but the HR representative stressed that it was not an offer despite the medical being there. This I was not expecting at all.

I decided to decline the interview/medical on the grounds of the 9 month maternity cover contract as I felt that the risk was high that I would not be kept on afterwards. They could not give me an indication that it would be more long term, in fact my impression from talking to them felt it would be just 9 months. The HR representative also stressed despite the medical it was not an offer and I felt that it would be too soon to take time from work after just starting.

Since making the decision I am agonising and stressing over whether or not I have made the right decision over not doing the interview/medical. I have found the move to Dublin difficult and stressful and I am wishing that I just didnt have to do it although it is early days yet as Im only on my fifth week here. I am driving home every weekend as I like to get home and relax from a stressful week but the drive does eat into my weekend too and id rather not have to do it and I cant see myself doing this longterm at the moment.

Was the fact that they had a medical organised a sign that I had a really good chance of getting that position or possibly have gotten it, the interview being just a token one. That has never happened to me before but I always felt that when you get a medical you pretty much have the job unless something really unforeseen happens. I am also thinking that despite it being a maternity cover contract that there is a possibility that it could be extended, but I just felt I could not take the risk of it.

What do people think on this. I know it is probably an impossible one to answer but Im just throwing it out there as my head is spinning on it at the moment. Was I right to turn it down? Was it a possible opportunity to get more to what I want in life? Do you think that when the medical was there, there was a offer in the offing? Should I have left Dublin given that I am finding the move difficult and stressful so far and also the fact that it probably my aim at this stage in my life to locate closer to home as its my preferred location, should I have just went with the interview/medical. It was all just bad timing I guess, I just dont know but any suggestions to help me clear my mind would be great. I could also be a possible long shot to contact them again and ask if I could sit the interview/medical still. Any suggestions would be appreciated. After a few tough years I feel I need to make a correct decision and move for my life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

The fact that they asked you to do a medical wasn't a sign that the job was in the bag, nor does it change the fact that that it was only a 9 month contract.

You have 11 months in Dublin, so I would take the time to polish up your CV and start looking for new roles closer to home.

Advertisement