Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Parnell Street

Options
  • 05-03-2019 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

What do people think of the proposed work? Will it make much difference? Does it go far enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭oppiuy

It has potential alright, But id like to see the whole centre pedestrianized. I've always enjoyed Ennis but you cant walk the town in peace without dodging traffic and weaving off the footpath. Just had a little baby and if we don't go in to Ennis first thing on a sat morning we just don't bother and head to Limerick for a day out. I feel Ennis would really thrive if the roads through the town centre where closed off

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Do you have a plan for what is going to happen? Personally I would close Abbey and O'Connell Street from The Queen's to the Cathedral, there's loads of access to car parks behind the street for deliveries or whatever was needed. Christmas was lovely in town being able to walk up and down O'Connell Street, it's not that much of a stretch to imagine Ennis like the Shop Street area of Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

No such luck on the pedestrianisation front. Loads of people would love to see it but a handful of dictators stand in its way.

Anyway, rather than going and photographing the site notice, I found this:
    Ennis Town Centre Public Realm
    The Part VIII for the Ennis Town Centre Public realm project which will see the rejuvenation of Parnell Street and the Lanes & Bow- ways has been submitted and a decision from Planning is expected by March 2019. If approved, it is expected that works will com- mence in the 3rd Quarter of 2019.
    The works that will be undertaken are as follows:
    • Up-grading of the public realm of Parnell Street, from High Street in the east to Carmody Street in the west, including re-surfac- ing in natural stone materials; street furniture; replacement street lighting; replacement signage, new signage and signage restoration and all ancillary site works.
    • Up-grading of the public realm of the Laneways, includ- ing where appropriate re-surfacing in mostly natural stone materi- als; replacement street lighting; provision of bin stores and barrel plinths; replacement signage, new signage and signage restoration and all ancillary site works.

I think there’s some money being spent around Barrack Square too but we’re not awash with information.

I’m all for improving the look and feel of the town - if there was some way of getting rid of all the gum on the pavements it would be amazing - but pedestrianisation and protection from the elements are the two improvements which would make the most difference to everyone’s enjoyment of Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Here’s the planning notice.

Advertisement