Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for tree

Options
  • 05-03-2019 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

I’m buying a house that has a 6’ wall at rear and other houses beyond the wall. There are some trees in the rear neighbors garden providing some screening but there is a wide gap (20’) between these trees meaning our garden is very overlooked through this. I’m looking to plant a tree here that will provide screening when in leaf. Max height should be c. 20’ and I’d like one that got to 15’+ within a few years. I had some kind of purple leaved cherry tree in my last house - nice blossoms but foliage was a bit dark so would prefer something green.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭macraignil

If you don't mind the thorns the haw thorn is a nice small tree and there are varieties with red flowers if you want something with a more stand out colour when flowering. If you are looking for something that looks nice that does not have thorns the June berry is also a nice small tree. There are also apples and pare trees that don't get very tall that could be nice but you would need to enquire about what root stock is used as this will effect the height of the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭J Cheevor Loophole

Sorbus Aucuparia is a nice tree, common on City streets, Greenleaf in late spring, tiny white flowers in May. Then Orange berries late summer followed by attractive Autumn foliage. Grows medium speed to about 20 feet and unlike cherry blossoms, will not cause wall foundation issues .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭macraignil

Sorbus Aucuparia is a nice tree, common on City streets, Greenleaf in late spring, tiny white flowers in May. Then Orange berries late summer followed by attractive Autumn foliage. Grows medium speed to about 20 feet and unlike cherry blossoms, will not cause wall foundation issues .

I was going to suggest mountain ash (sorbus aucuparia) as well as it is a nice tree but the rhs page on it says it grows taller than 12metres(36 feet) if that would be a problem. I should also mention that my suggestion of Juneberry is also said to potentially to go over the 20ft full grown size requested with the RHS page saying they grow to between 8 and 12 metres tall. Less than 20feet full grown being a condition would rule out a lot of trees and the ones that don't grow taller than this would often be very slow growing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

macraignil wrote: »
    If you don't mind the thorns the haw thorn is a nice small tree and there are varieties with red flowers if you want something with a more stand out colour when flowering.

+1 for the Hawthorn. Quite dense foliage so good for providing cover and also a very hardy native plant. White flowers followed by red berries can also be very attractive and good for birds and pollinators.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Thanks for the suggestions - few names to research. Thorns would be an issue, a few kids.

My concern around the height is that the tree would be directly due west of the house/patio and i don't want to shade that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You might consider ordinary cherry laurel.

It'll grow fast and thick and can be hacked into whatever shape you want.

I have some 30 year old ones that are lovely trees now.

The doubt I have is that all sources describe them as shrubs rather than trees, but mine are very tree like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Consider the Witch Hazel. Small and pretty. Flowers in midwinter, too.

And the flowers are the sweetest things, like tiny shredded ribbons, and scented, too!

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=368

Advertisement