Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants given notice - but now not paying rent

Options
  • 05-03-2019 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hi! My rent was due to be paid on 1st March. The letting agent wasn't apparently going to tell me that they had been trying to contact the tenants since Friday. The tenants were given notice 10 days ago. They are not responding to calls or emails. The letting agent said they are going to give 7 day notice. Where do I go with this. I was thinking of calling over to them. A few weeks ago they said there was lots of post there for me - my childrne forget to change the address on their Amazon Orders. This is really a warning - anyone who has a property rented, should be getting out of it - it's too risky!!!! Should I call over and have a chat with them? I was in no rush to get them out - said I wasn't going to put house up for sale until May time as needed painting first. Unfortunately, circumstances have changed for us and I have job in UK from June.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Why is your letting agent planning to give 7 days notice? You cannot give 7 days notice because they didn't pay rent. They need to be sent a 14 day notice of arrears, followed by a 28 day eviction notice

If your agent sends them an illegal 7 day notice, you're looking at massive fines for an illegal eviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

Same as that. Try to get them out. Again it seems that the ll is screwed over by having the audacity to even ask for their property back. Also it's an issue that seems to be catching with the current hate ll legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If 4ensic5 is about you might ask him nicely for the contact details of who he was talking about in another thread who had the tenants out in short order. It involved the use of counsel but if they're not paying rent the next stage is probably them overholding (in for a penny in for a pound). Make sure you are doing everything by the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Have they decided to do the “deposit in lieu of last month’s rent” thing? It’s also possible that there’s some mistake.

You’ll need to talk to them, but also make sure you issue the correct notices for rent arrears. If they’re genuine, it should get sorted. If they’re not, you’ll have started the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

Were they given a notice or did they give the notice?

How long is the notice for and for what reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Hi! All thanks for replies. Sorry, if I wasn't clear, the letting agent has givne a 14 day notice form today - rent was due Friday, and no response all day. The tenants were told that I would not be renewing the Lease on 31st March, but they would be due the staturoty notice for 2 years of tenancy from that date and that the statutory declaration saying I wanted them to vacate the property as i am going to sell it, would be forwarded to them before that date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

dudara wrote: »
    Have they decided to do the “deposit in lieu of last month’s rent” thing? It’s also possible that there’s some mistake.

You’ll need to talk to them, but also make sure you issue the correct notices for rent arrears. If they’re genuine, it should get sorted. If they’re not, you’ll have started the process.
    If they just don't pay the last month's rent and leave, leaving the OP with the deposit the OP will be doing well as there will be no overholding.

I don't think there is much that can really be done by the OP in that scenario re getting the last month's rent?

Advertisement