Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to do a short term let?

Options
  • 05-03-2019 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi, I have a property, I want to rent out for 3 months, but have it for most of the summer myself. Apart from Airbnb, if I advertised it locally, can one let if for only say 3 months, or do the tenants then have a right to stay there for a while longer. ? And in such cases do I need to register with PRTB?

Thanks in advance
    DM

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

demello wrote: »
    Hi, I have a property, I want to rent out for 3 months, but have it for most of the summer myself. Apart from Airbnb, if I advertised it locally, can one let if for only say 3 months, or do the tenants then have a right to stay there for a while longer. ? And in such cases do I need to register with PRTB?

Thanks in advance
    DM

Unless it is for a holiday letting, you need to register with the RTB. You will have to serve a termination notice to end the letting. You can't serve a termination notice during a fixed term. If you get the termination notice wrong and the tenants stay beyond six months they will have part 4 rights and it will be harder to move them. You can't give the notice of termination in a lease. You will have to do a month to month unwritten tenancy and then give 28 days notice after 2 months. it can cost about €200 to get a termination notice drafted by a professional.

Advertisement