Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a new trendline VW Polo 2019?

Options
  • 05-03-2019 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some advice, my 06 vw polo has failed the NCT quiet badly, so im looking at buying a new car. After looking a new polo seems like a good idea as there is 0 percent pcp interest on the trendline and they are offering 2k for my old car as scrappage. So id be getting 19 polo trendline with tech pack and it 95hp.(non metallic paint)

Just wondering do people think that's a good deal? Is there anything better out there at a similar price? The full price of the car is around 18.5k, minus 2k scrappage and 1k deposit. I'm looking at payments of 210 roughly a month on pcp. Just wondering if yee reckon I could get it cheaper or know of better deals on other cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

New polo is a great car. Obviously new costs a lot more so your financial analysis is best based on long term ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the full price on a 1.0 TSI 95PS is €18825 plus delivery, so around €19300. Tech pack is €500 so I make that €19800?

Are you sure it’s not the non turbo 65PS, which would be €18000 including delivery and tech pack? Or the 80PS which is roughly €700 more?

Without knowing the GMFV of the car after the PCP finishes, it’s hard to say how good a deal the finance is. You can’t really argue with 0%

You’re basically paying €7560 & €1000 deposit to use the car for 3 years, you’ll have the option of buying the car at a certain price after 3 years, this is the GMFV. I’m guessing there must an aggressively high GMFV on it, so if you’re keeping it long term you’ll have to pay interest on financing the balloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I would step up to the Comfortline but it doesn’t sound like a bad deal.

Have you looked at the Nissan Micra? 3k scrappage but not sure of PCP rates.

Gael23 wrote: »
    I would step up to the Comfortline but it doesn’t sound like a bad deal.

Have you looked at the Nissan Micra? 3k scrappage but not sure of PCP rates.

Comfortline is €2k more

Product guide here:
    https://www.volkswagen.ie/content/dam/vw-ngw/vw_pkw/importers/ie/downloads/product-guides/20181219-polo-december-2018.pdf/_jcr_content/renditions/original./20181219-polo-december-2018.pdf

For what it’s worth - I think the Polo is horrendous value for money, and you’d have to be buying into the notion that it’s going to hold its value. Not wishing to put a downer on your choice of car.
    As you know from your 06, it’s not as if they’re built to be indestructible. They were selling Golfs for this sort of money not too long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd double check the 95hp thing. As far as I know the 95bhp is only available if you go for an auto box aswell, all manuals are 65hp.

My mam has a 2018 Trendline, she doesn't do a lot of driving and it suits her well. They are a good looking small car and it's very economical. The 3 cylinder is very refined for what it is, not like the twitchy, whiney older 1.2 3 cylinders.

If you do regular motorway driving I'd steer clear of one though, they are insanely slow, even for what you'd expect from 1.0 engine. 0-100kmh takes 16 seconds which is painful. Its competent at motorway speeds so you'd make do on the odd journey but it'd get old day to day.

The Trendline is also missing a few things that would bug me, the Trendline radio doesn't have "station logos" comparability for Ireland so you'll have a colour screen filled with 6 blank tiles which is bizarre but maybe not a big deal to you. It doesn't have parking sensors, an armrest or A/C either which is probably not a huge deal in itself but considering the price tag you'd expect it to have them IMO and they are all standard on the Comfortline. If you can deal with that though, they aren't a bad car really.

Theres an insane amount of ex hire drive 181 and 182 Polo Trendlines on the market for €13-14k ish which represent far better value for money if you are willing to forgo the brand new car feeling. The biggest depreciation hit is already gone and you can still get one on PCP through the dealer network but at 3.9%. To be fair though, if you could put 3k deposit off of a 181 model worth €14k, you could own it outright with traditional HP finance over 4 years for not much more than the first three years of the PCP deal, maybe €260-270 per month. The payments are a bit higher but you have more options and you're not trapped in the PCP loop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

donaleire wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some advice, my 06 vw polo has failed the NCT quiet badly, so im looking at buying a new car. After looking a new polo seems like a good idea as there is 0 percent pcp interest on the trendline and they are offering 2k for my old car as scrappage. So id be getting 19 polo trendline with tech pack and it 95hp.(non metallic paint)

Just wondering do people think that's a good deal? Is there anything better out there at a similar price? The full price of the car is around 18.5k, minus 2k scrappage and 1k deposit. I'm looking at payments of 210 roughly a month on pcp. Just wondering if yee reckon I could get it cheaper or know of better deals on other cars?

It's a great not-so-little anymore car. But not in Trendline spec, which is simply dreadful...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Like all VWs spec and engine are crucial. I couldn’t imagine a new car without A/C. Think back to last summer and what it was like! It’s a big car now, certainly biggest of the superminis. Same size as a 90s Golf i’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,735 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

New Ford Fiesta and Citroen C3 are worth looking at. Mazda 2 is a nice car as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

The Ibiza is worth a look might get better spec for same money as others have said avoid the trendline they are a lovely car seeing loads of them on the road se spec tsi engined ones will be a good uk import in a year or two

• Registered Users Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Trendline spec is very basic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Generally I'd avoid entry spec level cars. They are poor value for money compared to mid spec and won't hold as much value as technology demands in cars increase. If its outdated now it will be more so in 5 years.

Go comfort line or compare to ibiza which is another class leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 donaleire

Cheers everyone for yer help, I really want to go Comfortline but I can't justify the cost. The comfortline is 3.9 percent interest rate while trendline is 0 percent. That is a difference alone of 1100 without also considering the jump in the cost of comfortline. I don't suppose anyone has had any joy in having the interest rates minimised with dealers or vw bank? We are buying two cars (seat arona) so I would have hoped I could recoup the money somehow on the polo.

Cheers everyone for yer help, I really want to go Comfortline but I can't justify the cost. The comfortline is 3.9 percent interest rate while trendline is 0 percent. That is a difference alone of 1100 without also considering the jump in the cost of comfortline. I don't suppose anyone has had any joy in having the interest rates minimised with dealers or vw bank? We are buying two cars (seat arona) so I would have hoped I could recoup the money somehow on the polo.

I think you need to look at the bigger picture p, not just the interest rate. If there was no such thing as pcp you would be paying 8-9% on a bank loan. If it’s a case of keeping repayments at a certain amount then I would look at a 2017 or 2018 model.
    A Polo Trendline is just not a nice place to to be in.

Buy the Seat Ibiza SE and Seat Arona from the same dealer. You'll get much more for your money....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

grogi wrote: »
    Buy the Seat Ibiza SE and Seat Arona from the same dealer. You'll get much more for your money....

What does the Ibiza offer that the Polo doesn't in this case though?

Just has a quick look and a new SE is €18,700. Its possibly marginally prettier than a Polo at the front, the interior and rear are very similar though.

Still hasn't got A/C or an armrest and the standard radio is worse than the Polos too?

+1 the base Ibiza is pretty grim. They were doing 23% off them last month but have pulled back on that? I know banking on residuals is silly but it won’t be worth as much as the Polo used. Fair enough if it was noticeably cheaper new.

What does the Ibiza offer that the Polo doesn't in this case though?

Just has a quick look and a new SE is €18,700. Its possibly marginally prettier than a Polo at the front, the interior and rear are very similar though.

Still hasn't got A/C or an armrest and the standard radio is worse than the Polos too?

It comes with A/C and Emergency City Braking as standard.

Automatic A/C is for 617 spring pack. Cruise Control for €180 (in Drivers Pack), Adaptive Cruise is around €500 in Easy Pack. Sensors all around for €449. All the add-ons are very reasonably priced on the Ibiza. For around 20k you have all you'd ever need..

But is more about buying two cars from same dealer - you'd always get a better deal out of it.

-- edit

I see Polo has the Autonomous emergency braking too.

Saw a new Polo today and it visually looks very nice. But there are drum brakes on the rear which would be a big no no for me.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Saw a new Polo today and it visually looks very nice. But there are drum brakes on the rear which would be a big no no for me.

Why?!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 donaleire

Thanks for all yer help. We went for seat Arona and VW polo in end. they were both part of same garage. Couldnt say no to 0 percent finance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

If you do regular motorway driving I'd steer clear of one though, they are insanely slow, even for what you'd expect from 1.0 engine. 0-100kmh takes 16 seconds which is painful. Its competent at motorway speeds so you'd make do on the odd journey but it'd get old day to day.

Excellent post but you should mention 'what you'd expect from a 1.0 Naturally Aspirated engine. 3-cylinder TSi's can be nippy

Advertisement