Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Knotweed?

Options
  • 05-03-2019 8:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

Is the plant in the pic Japanese knotweed? New leaves are growing ground level. The stems and flowers are all dried out and dead. Been like that since we moved here in the Autumn except for the new growth.

If it is Japanese knotweed, is it safe to remove the dried out stems? I'm thinking I'll just plop a wood panel on top of the leaves and leave it there if that is an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

No it's not Jkw.. it's your standard old dock ... the stems are last years with seeds on them . Open to correction but that would be my 2 cents worth .

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭J Cheevor Loophole

Yep, Docks gone bananas with last year's heat. Lucky for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭macraignil

Is the plant in the pic Japanese knotweed? New leaves are growing ground level. The stems and flowers are all dried out and dead. Been like that since we moved here in the Autumn except for the new growth.

If it is Japanese knotweed, is it safe to remove the dried out stems? I'm thinking I'll just plop a wood panel on top of the leaves and leave it there if that is an option.

The doc has a large tap root similar to a massive parsnip and would stay alive under the wood panel for a long time ready to shoot up again once it senses some light. It would be better to dig it up in my opinion and leave it dry out and die. A long handled garden fork would be ideal for this. They can apparently produce a couple of thousand seeds so it would be worth keeping a eye on the area for new docs sprouting as they are much easier to remove when they are small.

Advertisement