Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog treat recommendations

Options
  • 05-03-2019 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

My dog's senses are mostly gone except touch and taste and I'm trying to spoil her and keep up the novelty and enrichement. Her sense of smell is pretty depleted too, seems to be worse than a human's now.

Any recommendations on dog treats that your dogs have gone nuts over? Especially quite smelly ones, she's mostly blind and finds them by smell if she drops them. She can't eat bones or anything like that but softer chews are good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The alpha spirit ones are all stinky and soft. https://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/semi_moist. I was the same here with Bailey - he got his big giant upper molar removed so we've been giving soft treats. I've tried him with rabbits ears and dried chicken now that the 2 weeks are up and he was fine but gave back a JR pet lamb skin braid but I don't know if that's because I had bags of other treats in my hand lol
    Have you tried her with a lick mat? Bailey loves his and no probs with the missing piece of jaw/missing teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Dried tripe. Mother of god, the smell of it would make a maggot's eye water but it sounds like it might be right up her alley.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Dial Hard wrote: »
    the smell of it would make a maggot's eye water

:pac::pac::pac: We have it dried and raw here lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Pigs ears or strips, depending on size of dog (Lidl and Aldi are a good source), not much smell but our dogs go mad for them and with smaller dogs a pigs ear can last a long time. With our really big dogs a pigs ear lasts about 5 seconds.

Our dogs and both hear the packet open and smell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

For really stinky high value ones, hot dogs go down a treat (sorry) in our house! I boil them first so some of the fat does come out but they still keep their smell. I use them sparingly because, well I suppose they are like McDonald's for dogs! That or tripe very very very stinky but loved by both dogs. Bone broth jelly would give a different consistency but is very nourishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

some of these are very popular in our house! For the ones with chicken I replace liver, or when I can stomach it :D I put in chopped kidneys or chicken livers :P

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/pets/g23026561/homemade-dog-treats/?slide=7

Advertisement