Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MusculoSkeletal Physical therapy Vs Physiotherapy

Options
  • 04-03-2019 8:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

I'm gonna put forth some ideas - and I'm looking to be challenged on them.

I developed an interest in hands on style physical therapy a while ago - primarily via having work done on myself.

So - I, like half the country - did a part time course.

Very enjoyable.

Then I did a bunch of additional courses.

Then I contemplated the "ifs";

Go back to uni and study physio - or just shoot from the hip and open up my own musculoskeletal physical therapy clinic.

See - long since has been the idea that, non uni based physical therapists are, how you say - imposters?

Chiros, osteopaths, physical therapists - basically - masseuses without the hot oil.

But - since having become involved in the area - these are the facts as they appear to me;

Musculoskeletal is but one are of physical therapy.

Hospital based physio's, i.e. uni graduates - are by far far far and away most concerned with orthopedic rehabilitation, and often liaise closely with Dr's in this capacity.

You regular physical therapist - imposter types - they are concerned almost exclusively with muscle spasming, the complications that can come about as a result of that - and joint mobility.
    Thus - this is largely considered "complimentary therapy".

Muscle spasming and joint mobility - are obviously intrinsically inter-related - as muscle connects to bone, and when it tightens, in inhibits said mobility.

The modalities to treat this - are, well - extremely straight forward.
    Thus - they can be covered on a part time study/weekend study basis.
    Well - chiro and osteo is obviously full time but - there's much hyperbole in them fields - dieting etc.

In any case - the point here is that - is it necessary to study 4 years at uni to treat muscle spasming??

lolwut?

Obviously not.

The hilarious thing is - uni based physio doesn't really cover muscle spasming - or certainly not manual soft tissue techniques associated with treating it.
    They do some mobilizations - which again - can be learned over a weekend - easy.

But they're concerned more so with, multiple bone fracture rehab, stroke recovery, neurology - seriously complex rehab.

You average dudes limping into your clinic after a tough rugby game, well - he don't have these problems.

Therefore, in many ways - your weekend program "imposter" - may well actually be more qualified, experienced, and competent, in treating these types of cases.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I'm gonna put forth some ideas - and I'm looking to be challenged on them.

I developed an interest in hands on style physical therapy a while ago - primarily via having work done on myself.

So - I, like half the country - did a part time course.

Very enjoyable.

Then I did a bunch of additional courses.

Then I contemplated the "ifs";

Go back to uni and study physio - or just shoot from the hip and open up my own musculoskeletal physical therapy clinic.

See - long since has been the idea that, non uni based physical therapists are, how you say - imposters?

Chiros, osteopaths, physical therapists - basically - masseuses without the hot oil.

But - since having become involved in the area - these are the facts as they appear to me;

Musculoskeletal is but one are of physical therapy.

Hospital based physio's, i.e. uni graduates - are by far far far and away most concerned with orthopedic rehabilitation, and often liaise closely with Dr's in this capacity.

You regular physical therapist - imposter types - they are concerned almost exclusively with muscle spasming, the complications that can come about as a result of that - and joint mobility.
    Thus - this is largely considered "complimentary therapy".

Muscle spasming and joint mobility - are obviously intrinsically inter-related - as muscle connects to bone, and when it tightens, in inhibits said mobility.

The modalities to treat this - are, well - extremely straight forward.
    Thus - they can be covered on a part time study/weekend study basis.
    Well - chiro and osteo is obviously full time but - there's much hyperbole in them fields - dieting etc.

In any case - the point here is that - is it necessary to study 4 years at uni to treat muscle spasming??

lolwut?

Obviously not.

The hilarious thing is - uni based physio doesn't really cover muscle spasming - or certainly not manual soft tissue techniques associated with treating it.
    They do some mobilizations - which again - can be learned over a weekend - easy.

But they're concerned more so with, multiple bone fracture rehab, stroke recovery, neurology - seriously complex rehab.

You average dudes limping into your clinic after a tough rugby game, well - he don't have these problems.

Therefore, in many ways - your weekend program "imposter" - may well actually be more qualified, experienced, and competent, in treating these types of cases.

Tell me I'm wrong.

What are your own motives?
    Status. Financial, Knowledge, Client welfare, Job satisfaction etc etc.
    You need to ask yourself these question.
    Does a piece of paper saying you have a BS in Physiotherapist help you towards your motives.
    Can you have all of these without a BS..

If you worked as a HSE Physiotherapists with the status and financial package that comes with it look at each client leaving the clinic room with a "handout exercise sheet" after a 15 min consultation and say you have done your best for them.

Could you as a private Physical therapist help your client with the muscle spasm or tear.. ??

Some people (usually themselves) put people with letter or pieces of paper on a pedestal..
    Does it make them any better at what the do.???

Advertisement