Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to East Galway

Options
  • 04-03-2019 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi everyone,

I’m moving to East Galway from Dublin..with my two teenagers and looking for recommendations on where to live.

Kids at a difficult age for move but need to think of myself too and the future. They will be in uni in a few years or so. I’m considering Loughrea, Craughwell or Kinvara..? Will be most likely working in Galway, Ennis or Athlone.

I’d be really appreciative of any feedback from people living in these areas.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Athenry would be relatively convenient for Galway, Ennis and Athlone. All accessible via motorway. Ideal if you need a house and are not sure where you will be working or if you are working between all 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Country living 2019

Thanks. Thought of that but school is likely an issue in Athenry and thought Loughrea for example would be more vibrant etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Thanks. Thought of that but school is likely an issue in Athenry and thought Loughrea for example would be more vibrant etc

There are a few schools in Athenry or Oranmore or Claregalway

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

Hi everyone,

I’m moving to East Galway from Dublin..with my two teenagers and looking for recommendations on where to live.

Kids at a difficult age for move but need to think of myself too and the future. They will be in uni in a few years or so. I’m considering Loughrea, Craughwell or Kinvara..? Will be most likely working in Galway, Ennis or Athlone.

I’d be really appreciative of any feedback from people living in these areas.

Many thanks.

I would recommend the Kiltullagh/Attymon area, especially if you are not sure in which of Galway (20-25 mins away), Ennis (30-40 mins) or Athlone (35 mins) you will be working. It is just off junction 16 of the M6 and not far from the M17 interchange and is pretty much the same distance from Athenry and Loughrea, so the location is very central.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Oranmore. It's got a secondary school, train, lots of facilities and shops etc. It would be hard on kids moving from Dublin to land into rural Galway. Move somewhere with good facilities, good access to the city. There's a cinema, a few restaurants, several nice pubs, 4 large supermarkets...

There a good bit of building going on in Oranmore at the moment, new housing on Maree and Coast roads.

Kinvara is lovely but a long way from the city and nothing for teenagers to do. Craughwell would be a no for me....Athenry would be a no for me too, other than the train can't see any benefits.

I live in the city. If I had a choice it would be Oranmore. Clarinbridge is a lovely village too but not much availability, there's new houses under construction in Reddington woods as you enter the village.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

I suppose it depends on whether you are looking to rent or buy

Oranmore and clarinbridge would be significantly dearer
    Oranmore especially

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I would recommend the Kiltullagh/Attymon area, especially if you are not sure in which of Galway (20-25 mins away), Ennis (30-40 mins) or Athlone (35 mins) you will be working. It is just off junction 16 of the M6 and not far from the M17 interchange and is pretty much the same distance from Athenry and Loughrea, so the location is very central.

Both tiny little clannish places

Thanks everyone for the replies and good wishes.

I can see the appeal of Oranmore but more expensive too to settle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Both tiny little clannish places

you say that like its a bad thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

The schools in athenry are fairly good but I am from loughrea good schools there too unfortunately like many towns there isn't much for teenagers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Craughwell is a lovely village, relocated here myself a couple of years ago. Commute to galway is no bother and I travel down to clare frequently and the drive there is a lso grand.

Have found the locals very welcoming.

Hi Crunchymomma, I have considered Craughwell too. Lovely to hear locals are welcoming.

In relation to Craughwell, can I ask how long commute takes if you are going into Galway on a weekday for work say at 9am or whatever ( if you are..)? I know there is the train but I think it leaves very early?

My kids are sporty ( tennis and soccer). I think there is soccer for teenage girls in Craughwell which would be great and there is a tennis club in Loughrea which I presume are the closest courts?

Apologies for all the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Hi Crunchymomma, I have considered Craughwell too. Lovely to hear locals are welcoming.

In relation to Craughwell, can I ask how long commute takes if you are going into Galway on a weekday for work say at 9am or whatever ( if you are..)? I know there is the train but I think it leaves very early?

My kids are sporty ( tennis and soccer). I think there is soccer for teenage girls in Craughwell which would be great and there is a tennis club in Loughrea which I presume are the closest courts?

Apologies for all the questions.

I drive in some days and get the bus others. The drive takes about 40/45 mins in the morning but it does depend on how far in you are going. There is a private bus that goes through at 7.10, 7.50 ,8.10 and 9.10. It gets in as far as GMIT in about twenty minutes and continues on to eyre Square and nuig.

Can't help much on the sports as my kids are younger so all I know about is u6s camogie and Irish dancing ha

I drive in some days and get the bus others. The drive takes about 40/45 mins in the morning but it does depend on how far in you are going. There is a private bus that goes through at 7.10, 7.50 ,8.10 and 9.10. It gets in as far as GMIT in about twenty minutes and continues on to eyre Square and nuig.

Can't help much on the sports as my kids are younger so all I know about is u6s camogie and Irish dancing ha

Thanks Crunchymommy! That’s a great help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jenson86

Monivea / Athenry / Kiltullage is a lovely country area. Moved here myself and find it a lovely accessible area.

Advertisement