Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords FREE build

Options
  • 04-03-2019 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭

Have a voodoo bizango ordered will be in for the 14th. I selected the free build also. Anyone have any experience with halfords free build, good or bad?

Im unsure to do it myself or have the free build done. I have a tool box and am mechanically minded so either way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Would you trust your LBS to service your car? That'd be my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

What's LBS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭cletus

What's LBS

Local Bike Shop.

Halfords can be hit or miss. You can get guys who know what they're at, or fellas who don't know their arse from a hole in the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Local Bike Shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Have a voodoo bizango ordered will be in for the 14th. I selected the free build also. Anyone have any experience with halfords free build, good or bad?

Im unsure to do it myself or have the free build done. I have a tool box and am mechanically minded so either way

In reality it’s no different to LBS’s, you have good ones and bad ones. The mechanic in the letterkenny store is very good and knows his stuff how we just like any profession/Jon, some are better/worse than others.

• Advertisement

I though LBS meant legs, butt and skull. Made sense then.

I've done my research on how to fully tune the front air sprung fork.

How assembled does a voodoo bike come anyone know. Basic bolt parts together or more involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there have been some stories about the quality of halfords on the forum over the years, which you'd probably expect given the size of the company and probable turnover of staff, you're going to end up with a few bad eggs from time to time.

re putting a bike together, it may be as simple as straightening the handlebars, adjusting the seat, pumping the tyres, and fitting pedals. the latter, depending on the pedal, might just need an allen key or could need a pedal spanner.

I'll ring them tomorrow and inquire.

I've done my own timing belt changes ETC on cars just don't fancy shelling out for speclized bike tools I'll. Use once.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you've a decent set of tools, you wouldn't need to buy a pedal spanner possibly. it's basically just a thin 15mm spanner with a decent length handle.

I'd imagine halfords bikes don't arrive in pieces to the shop and are more like ordering one from wiggle etc in that all you really need to do is right the handle bars and put some pedals on it and tighten everything up. :confused:

I doubt you'd need to be doing your own cabling or fitting bottom brackets and cranks and cassettes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

I'll ring them tomorrow and inquire.

I've done my own timing belt changes ETC on cars just don't fancy shelling out for speclized bike tools I'll. Use once.

You'll be fine. I've put on and taken off more pedals than I care to remember with a normal 15 spanner. If you can do a timing belt a bike is child's play. Its all just big lego

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

if you've a decent set of tools, you wouldn't need to buy a pedal spanner possibly. it's basically just a thin 15mm spanner with a decent length handle.

+1 It also depends whether you do your own servicing going forward, which personally is something I quite enjoy. If not, you'll be taking it back to a bike shop and paying for the service so money spent either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My experience over a few bikes over the family is that the builds have been fine. That's been across Carrickmines, Tallaght and Blanch. A quick "M" check should be enough.

As other's have said, it's not a full bike build, it's more like them building a mail order bike like you'd get if you ordered on line - turning handlebars, fitting peddles, seat height.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

Bought a few kids bikes from halfords, I wouldn't let them assemble or pump the wheels on them - useless !

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

If you've changed timing belts then assembling a bike from a box will be child's play for you with basic tools and an hour on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

If it's "free", I think I'd let them do it and then take it home and check every nut and bolt!

Spoke to them in the Limerick store. He said its a simple job, the chain is already attached so I'm looking for to getting it come Thursday

Advertisement