Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed - unemployment

Options
  • 04-03-2019 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,

27. Living at home. Recent graduate.

I graduated last year, and was able to get some summer work (customer service) after I finished college. Since that contract ended in September I have unfortunately been unemployed and I'm having a lot of difficulty gaining employment, which is causing major strain at home which is understandable. It's not my intention to stay unemployed or live at home forever, I just can't seem to catch a break. Without college or work my mental health is deteriorating and my motivation levels can be up and down.

I don't know what direction to take. I am lacking working experience in which my degree is based on (marketing) but I can't seem to even get a low level job in this area. I also can't get other types of employment (retail, bar work etc)

I would appreciate any sort of advice.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Have you tried applying for marketing internships?

Honestly, it seems odd that as a 27-year-old graduate you can't seem to get any kind of job, even retail work, bar work, etc.

Is it that you're not applying for many jobs? Doing poorly on interviews? Other?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i think, contrary to what we hear on the news, i think theres a lot of people particularly graduates unemployed. and finding it difficult to get a job.

what does your cv look like? you did get place, even temporary, so hold onto that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭joeguevara

What are your skills that you would like to use? What pay do you need?

What have you applied for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

When I was around your age, I did a post-graduate in a field I wanted to work in.

Zero experience, bar work Id done in college. So, I went to companies dealing in this field, and told them I would work for free/wanted work experience. The way it worked out for me was I worked 4 days a week in an office admin job, and then 1 day in that company gaining experience.

After about.....6 months or so of doing this, I then knew people/had contacts.

An opening came up for a job in the field I wanted. And a person working in the company where I was getting experience recommended me.

You will also need to alter your CV to tailor to the jobs you want. One CV does not fit all. If you are applying for retail jobs, you need to put any skill and experience in retail ahead of say having a degree in marketing. If you go for a marketing job, you need to put all your skills in marketing ahead of anything else. In retail also for example, for an interview, dress more stylish. For an office based role, perhaps more formal (and equally as stylish). Remember, first impressions do last (we do live in this world, I do have to say-I dont agree, but this is how it rolls right now).

The job market is buoyant at the moment (i.e., companies are hiring) - sounds like to me you need to apply your marketing experience to yourself (sell yourself).

Also, (may not apply to you), but there can be a fear of approaching people/HR departments etc/lack of confidence and pushing yourself forward. Youll need to get over that and believe in yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EZR_

Thanks all for your responses. All taken on board. I am currently undertaking a career guidance course.

I have been offered a part time/casual position with a Tour Company, the role itself is not marketing but with a company that I would be interested in.

The role will only be until October and the hours would be quite casual. I want to take it because I need something and as said I like the idea of working for this company but hours wouldn't really be enough.

I am thinking this might be a good opportunity, so might be an idea to take this casual job and potentially get an internship on the side. What would you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

EZR_ wrote:
    I am thinking this might be a good opportunity, so might be an idea to take this casual job and potentially get an internship on the side. What would you do?

Take the job and keep applying. Any work is better than none. There are loads of paid marketing internships out there at the moment. Keep an eye on the PRII website and also LinkedIn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Im a believer that every able bodied person should be working. Its better to be be waiting tables than sitting at home all day with nothing to do scratching yourself.

Think of odd jobs as something that will fill the gap and have money coming in until you move into an area that you want. Plus it really helps for you to understand the value of money, have valuable experiences and open up some horizons talking to different people from various walk of life.

I work in Finance but have done everything from pumping petrol to kitchen work, retail, bar work, hotel porter etc.

If I was hiring someone I would much prefer to hire someone who was working in a unrelated field but working , rather than someone with a large gap in their CV doing nothing. I would see this person as lacking drive or hustle.

My advice would to be get a job, you will feel better with money you earned coming in, and use your free time to look for opportunities in the sector you want to work in.

I'm really in two minds about it. While I was initially ok with the part time aspect, I am being offered only potentially 3 days a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Where are you living?

Where are you living?

Dublin 13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

EZR_ wrote: »
    Dublin 13

As others have said OP any job is better than none. Dunnes and Tesco are beside you. Drop in your cv. The new Centra in Bayside is advertising for staff too and there are plenty more places, Eddie Rockets, Star Buys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

Hi OP,

How does your CV look? You say you had a customer service job for a bit over the summer but have you worked at all before or during your degree course?

I understand ideally you’d like a job in your studies field but as others have said any work is better than no work.

I was a bit of a late bloomer myself starting work when I was 22 as I had a lot going on at home. I volunteered for a good bit before starting a part time job in retail, I did this just because I enjoyed doing it but the manager who hired me said that was what caught their eye on my CV.

You could volunteer in a charity shop or any organisation you feel passionate about while you’re applying for jobs and at least you’ll have something else to pop on your CV? It will also be good for your mental health to get out of the house and know you’re doing something good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Get someone professional to have a look at your CV if possible.
    Have you applied for office jobs / call centre?
    Try Bord Gais, ESB, Airtricity etc.
    See the below for an example.
    http://www.ssejobs.co.uk/caw/en/job/520272/business-energy-cs-advisor
    Yes, it's not marketing but it's a job and may offer a potential spring board somewhere else.
    Stay positive and keep trying.
    Since you've done marketing, sell yourself!
    Have it in mind that companies need you, and not the other way.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

I have a marketer friend who sells on jvzoo.

Basically has an autoresponder and offers bonuses for people to buy through his affiliate link and he collects the commission. Usually 50% of all sales. Launches his own products on jvzoo every few months also.

He started on the warrior forum offering some free things to build his autoresponder list and went on to jvzoo from there.

He sells enough to make a good living out of it. Has hired a few guys from Hungary and Phillipines who do a lot of the work.

Anyway might not suit you but thought it might be worth a mention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

EZR_ wrote: »
    Dublin 13

I honestly thought you were going to say Birr Co Offaly or similar as often it is distance and rent costs that are the problem. Is your degree decent? ie is it a first or a 2.1?
    I would suspect that you are just applying in the wrong places as the city is awash with work.
    Contact ALL of your college classmates and see what they are at and apply to every one of these companies.
    Your network is vital here.
    I presume you are on Linkedin? Update your account and add as many people as you can, particularly recruiters.

Advertisement