Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a van for a cycling trip abroad

Options
  • 04-03-2019 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Has anyone on here done this before? I am co-organising a charity cycle from Dublin to Paris in June and require a van for support. I've reached out to the usual companies, some haven't got back yet but the ones that have don't allow their vans to be taken out of Ireland.

I'm sure someone on here has organised or done something similar and rented a van for the event? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I used vanrentals.ie when I took a Transit to the UK for a house move a few years ago - they still have a page giving advice on going abroad, so it looks like they (still) allow it, but you need to cover the insurance, etc.

As mentioned, it was a few years ago, but I've used them several times for other stuff in Ireland, and always found them to be helpful and good to deal with, and the vehicles are in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It wasn't for cycling, but I used Enterprise when I brought a van to the UK. I think they lumped a premium on it, and I ended up having a row with them over something (either that or they tried to claim the quote didn't include VAT - something I could produce the quote printout that proved me right anyway!). Apart from that it was ok.

It might be worth checking the different van options on the ferries too - the prices are banded by length. I went with a Renault Master in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It wasn't for cycling, but I used Enterprise when I brought a van to the UK. I think they lumped a premium on it, and I ended up having a row with them over something (either that or they tried to claim the quote didn't include VAT - something I could produce the quote printout that proved me right anyway!). Apart from that it was ok.

It might be worth checking the different van options on the ferries too - the prices are banded by length. I went with a Renault Master in the end.

Thanks, that's what I've been looking at, a Renault Master. Good point about the length I'll look into that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Andy Magic wrote: »
    Thanks, that's what I've been looking at, a Renault Master. Good point about the length I'll look into that also.
    I think the Master was below 6m, which was the next cut off in length. Well that years model was anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Thanks all for the replies, can I ask what company you used for the van rental? I'm struggling to get a short term quote, I've even tried going through a broker

• Advertisement
Advertisement