Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New driver: numbers great in the shop but seems to travel less on course

Options
  • 04-03-2019 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi lads, a bit of an odd one (imo). I brought my old cobra f speed in when I was getting fitted for a new driver in Jan... cobra was carrying 262yrds avg & the Titleist TS2 was carrying 280yrds avg.

I left it a little bit as was unsure I wanted to spend the money on it, went in a 2nd time & again cobra was around 262/265 & the TS2 was around 272/275... decided I'd go with it as numbers all looked great.

on course now with friends who I was up with or longer than with the cobra but I'm finding myself pretty far back at times (20/30yrds) & even after catching a decent drive with the wind behind me I landed in a bunker I was always carrying with no wind assistance. My friend cleared it no bother.

have any of ye had this happen to ye? expectation or longer drives & numbers backing it up in store in comparison to less yards on the course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Hi lads, a bit of an odd one (imo). I brought my old cobra f speed in when I was getting fitted for a new driver in Jan... cobra was carrying 262yrds avg & the Titleist TS2 was carrying 280yrds avg.

I left it a little bit as was unsure I wanted to spend the money on it, went in a 2nd time & again cobra was around 262/265 & the TS2 was around 272/275... decided I'd go with it as numbers all looked great.

on course now with friends who I was up with or longer than with the cobra but I'm finding myself pretty far back at times (20/30yrds) & even after catching a decent drive with the wind behind me I landed in a bunker I was always carrying with no wind assistance. My friend cleared it no bother.

have any of ye had this happen to ye? expectation or longer drives & numbers backing it up in store in comparison to less yards on the course?

Get fitted outdoors. You play outdoors not in a shop, why wouldn't you get fitted outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Get fitted outdoors. You play outdoors not in a shop, why wouldn't you get fitted outdoors?

because I had a voucher to AG... you saying everyone gets fitted outdoors? to me that would be a rare thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Go back to store and try your club on the test mat?

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Go back to store and try your club on the test mat?

Club might be faulty or something? I did need to order it in & it came a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

And what difference would that make??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You can see where you currently drive to from the balls on the ground and then see where the new ones drive to

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

golfguy1 wrote: »

Indoors is being hit into a net and the ball flight is being estimated using an algorithm, outside the flight of the ball is tracked and you get the actual distance the ball went on the conditions of the day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

In the factories, because the manufacturers are trying to skirt as close to legality as possible, drivers of the exact same model come out with a variety of "hot" or "not so hot" faces.

All are tested, so some are rejected for being so hot that they are illegal. These might be marked "black". Others are on the edge of legality and these are marked "green". Less powerful faces will be marked "amber" and "red", in declining order of speed in the measuring machines.

The "green" heads are mainly sent to the tour vans and to retail for fitting - I don't need to explain why, I'm sure.

So in general, what you get when you buy a driver is more likely to be an "amber" or "red" head. If there genuinely is a dramatic difference, it could be the difference between a very hot demo club and a less powerful "red" one.

But you also have to factor in subjective/human error here. ie: your friend could have gotten longer / improved technique. You could have done the opposite. Conditions etc. You might think all things are remaining equal, but there's usually some perception error involved.

The best thing to do is go back and try your club on the same monitor and see what the number say. Try their demo again beside it while you're at it. Then you'll have some reasonable evidence. Maybe the demo was a better fit for you, for example.

because I had a voucher to AG... you saying everyone gets fitted outdoors? to me that would be a rare thing.

Let use a pair of football boots as an example, you can get the right size easily in a store but you need to use them on a pitch to see how they work in real life situations. It's the same for hitting a golf ball into a net or simulator. It's not how you play the game, why would you get fitted that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

In the factories, because the manufacturers are trying to skirt as close to legality as possible, drivers of the exact same model come out with a variety of "hot" or "not so hot" faces.

All are tested, so some are rejected for being so hot that they are illegal. These might be marked "black". Others are on the edge of legality and these are marked "green". Less powerful faces will be marked "amber" and "red", in declining order of speed in the measuring machines.

The "green" heads are mainly sent to the tour vans and to retail for fitting - I don't need to explain why, I'm sure.

So in general, what you get when you buy a driver is more likely to be an "amber" or "red" head. If there genuinely is a dramatic difference, it could be the difference between a very hot demo club and a less powerful "red" one.

But you also have to factor in subjective/human error here. ie: your friend could have gotten longer / improved technique. You could have done the opposite. Conditions etc. You might think all things are remaining equal, but there's usually some perception error involved.

The best thing to do is go back and try your club on the same monitor and see what the number say. Try their demo again beside it while you're at it. Then you'll have some reasonable evidence. Maybe the demo was a better fit for you, for example.

What sort of difference in ball speed / smash factor between green and red?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Indoors is being hit into a net and the ball flight is being estimated using an algorithm, outside the flight of the ball is tracked and you get the actual distance the ball went on the conditions of the day too.
    Is outdoors any better? Trackman only measures 2/3 of the ball flight also it can change conditions on the software. Your using range balls normally. My advice is buy a new driver if you like the look and feel don't believe all you see in a fitting. In general people who see an impact screen in front of them swing harder.

Let use a pair of football boots as an example, you can get the right size easily in a store but you need to use them on a pitch to see how they work in real life situations. It's the same for hitting a golf ball into a net or simulator. It's not how you play the game, why would you get fitted that way?

I didn't question if it was better to get fitted outdoors... I've no doubt it is. I just said it'd be rarer in my reply to your 1st post.

you don't try out football boots outdoors before purchase tho ;)

thanks for your replies but it's a little off track on my question. I've been fitted... indoors & now I've a specific query on that. I get you opinion on get fitted outdoors but irrelevant to my Q

thanks for this!!! didn't know that

Is outdoors any better? Trackman only measures 2/3 of the ball flight also it can change conditions on the software. Your using range balls normally. My advice is buy a new driver if you like the look and feel don't believe all you see in a fitting. In general people who see an impact screen in front of them swing harder.

Trackman tracks the whole flight of the carry of the ball

It's much less likely to see hot faces on Tour, hot faces break quicker. Wouldn't be great for a Tour pro to be cracking the face of a driver during a tournament

I didn't question if it was better to get fitted outdoors... I've no doubt it is. I just said it'd be rarer in my reply to your 1st post.

you don't try out football boots outdoors before purchase tho ;)

thanks for your replies but it's a little off track on my question. I've been fitted... indoors & now I've a specific query on that. I get you opinion on get fitted outdoors but irrelevant to my Q

The indoor numbers can be questioned, the outdoor flight can be seen. The question you should be asking is about the indoor numbers and assuming that these numbers will translate to the same outdoors, they clearly haven't in your situation

The indoor numbers can be questioned, the outdoor flight can be seen. The question you should be asking is about the indoor numbers and assuming that these numbers will translate to the same outdoors, they clearly haven't in your situation

not trying to get into a back & forth here... let's just say yes I should have got fitted outdoors & move on.

I'm looking to go back on track to my OP... anyone had this experience of great numbers in store & a lot less than expected on course

not trying to get into a back & forth here... let's just say yes I should have got fitted outdoors & move on.

I'm looking to go back on track to my OP... anyone had this experience of great numbers in store & a lot less than expected on course

Do you not see what I'm saying, the numbers indoors are incorrect?

it's looking that way. I get that! thank you again. I can only ask that we stop this back & forth once more. You've made your opinion very clear but it's not what i'm after. I shoulda got fitted out door... gothcha… understood. I did not & I am where I am.

I'm looking to see if anyone else found this when they got fitted & then if/when someone replies they've had the same experience I can get into discussion with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Normalized numbers?
    If you got your report emailed to you there should be a check box at the bottom to un normalize ( this bring temps back from optimum) and generally lower the numbers.

Tee height difference? Could effect angle of attack so launch and spin could change

Could have been all out on the sim as well, hitting drive after drive your confidence will grow and you'll smash it harder.

• Advertisement

So your saying all of us(and that's lots) who got fitted indoors were all getting wrong numbers

So your saying all of us(and that's lots) who got fitted indoors were all getting wrong numbers

Mats give different launch angles and spin rates then grass so that can change things, also as mentioned earlier the normalised feature on Trackman gives distances at 25 degrees and no wind.

You just need to know what different machines measure and what they estimate and indoors distances are not being measured

Mats give different launch angles and spin rates then grass so that can change things, also as mentioned earlier the normalised feature on Trackman gives distances at 25 degrees and no wind.

You just need to know what different machines measure and what they estimate and indoors distances are not being measured

No matter what way trackman was setup the op should still have seen an improvement outdoors matching/very close to what the numbers gave him indoors compared to his old driver

No matter what way trackman was setup the op should still have seen an improvement outdoors matching/very close to what the numbers gave him indoors compared to his old driver

this is my issue, I know where my old club carries on course so when the trackman told me in store that was 262 & the new club was a fair bit more I assumed that even if the numbers were off then they'd be off in old & new but new would still carry more (I hope that makes sense)

Just rereading comments, the friend I was judging off; we played maybe 3 weeks in between rounds with my old driver vs new one. it's not like it was months of a difference & massive changes in our games (he's off 4 me 7)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I can give you my experience with irons. Got fitted about 5 years ago for a set of Titliests. Stiff shafts, upgrade grips etc. Could not miss on the mat in the shop, every iron felt fantastic to hit. Spent a year trying to reproduce those indoor shots, never did, now they are in my shed and used by visitors. Got fitted for a set of pings (yes I know, completely different type of head) but this time I was outside on a range when I tried them. Of course the ground/wind is different and I could see the flight of the ball each time I hit. I hooked a few, faded a few etc, but distances averaged what I would expect to hit based on prior performance.

Op, you used an anology of a boot, kicking a ball indoor and outdoors with the same boot will give different results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Trackman tracks the whole flight of the carry of the ball
    If it tracks the whole flight why does it need to normalise numbers? Plus it's tracking a range ball will that be normalised to a pro v1? Or air density (just throwing that one in for a laugh). Carry don't mind me.

Dav010 wrote: »
    I can give you my experience with irons. Got fitted about 5 years ago for a set of Titliests. Stiff shafts, upgrade grips etc. Could not miss on the mat in the shop, every iron felt fantastic to hit. Spent a year trying to reproduce those indoor shots, never did, now they are in my shed and used by visitors. Got fitted for a set of pings (yes I know, completely different type of head) but this time I was outside on a range when I tried them. Of course the ground/wind is different and I could see the flight of the ball each time I hit. I hooked a few, faded a few etc, but distances averaged what I would expect to hit based on prior performance.

Op, you used an anology of a boot, kicking a ball indoor and outdoors with the same boot will give different results.

cheers for the reply. I do get indoor vs outdoor fitting but new a fair bit shorter than old seems odd after the numbers I was seeing. I get it might just have been in optimal setting it carried more.

the boot was not my analogy! I replied to said analogy

i'm gonna hit the range with both clubs, head to my club pro who has trackman & use prov1s like on course... i'll see how I feel in a few weeks & if it's just not suiting me... someone might get a new enough ts2 a bit cheaper than in store on adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Is the shaft the same as what you want see in the shop?

• Advertisement

i'm gonna hit the range with both clubs, head to my club pro who has trackman & use prov1s like on course... i'll see how I feel in a few weeks & if it's just not suiting me... someone might get a new enough ts2 a bit cheaper than in store on adverts

Just double check that shaft is exactly same as was ordered and settings on driver are correct.
    Errors can be made when ordering specifics with shafts.
    Can't think of any other explanation for difference in preformance

Advertisement