Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant combi 90 repair/recommendation Rathcormac Cork

Options
  • 04-03-2019 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a Grant Combi 90 Mk II oil boiler with a Riello RDB burner which the sticker says was manufactured in March 2003 which has decided to stop working.

The oil ran out a couple of weeks ago and so when a fill was received I duly bled the oil line from the stem valve on the pump and all was fine..for about a week. The boiler went to lockout and pressing the reset got the usual sounds of starting up and trying to fire for about 10-15 seconds then lockout. A bit of reading on here suggested the first port of call (& simplest fix) was to replace the photocell which I did. No change. I bled the oil line from the stem valve and am getting a steady flow of kerosene.

I don't want to go buying and replacing more parts blindly hoping to hit upon the issue and I have been trying to get someone out to sort it without success so consider this a callout for any plumber/offtec technicians in the Rathcormac/Fermoy area of Cork to please PM me or anyone who can recommend somebody reliable.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

If you have no joy here (Tom44 may know someone down that neck of the woods) then give Grant a call, they will be able to point you in the right direction for guys in your area, or you can always reach Oftec.org by area.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pea be

How long is it since you serviced the burner?
    If you are geting the burner trying for 10 - 15 secs, can you see a flame through the peephole?
    If not, I would suspect fuel. How long since the nozzle was changed? (I would almost change it anyway if it has not been changed in a while ).
    There are good online guides for troubleshooting oil burners, as they all follow a sequence (e.g. purge with fan for given time, initiate inject oil, fire spark for given time, if flame ignited stop spark otherwise lock out).
    What is happening will help narrow down the issue.... as comon causes could be fuel supply (airlock, water in tank, oil pump, oil pressure, solenoid to release fuel or the nozzle), ignition spark (setup of electrodes, capacitor) or controls (photo cell, control unit thermostat inputs).

This is useful for troubleshooting before replacing parts....
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.rielloburners.co.uk/contentfiles/files/RDB%20535%20Fault%20Finding%20Chart.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj-2NX12ungAhXdSRUIHaRYDyAQFjAHegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw2iUQkunllhioodY-GGy3zp

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Thanks for your input guys. I followed DGOBS's advice* and rang Grant - got the number for the closest guy (Pat R<SNIP>) on their list. Took a bit of doing but eventually got him on the phone - up the walls and wouldn't be able to get to me anytime soon but did in fairness give the number of another chap (Paul K<SNIP>) who was able to call out yesterday afternoon.

He gave it a good try but couldn't get it up and running as the oil tank is ready to burst outside due to age/improper supports under it (a couple of blocks) and as a result there is a load of water in the tank which was feeding into the burner and has destroyed the fuel pump. In short I've arranged with Paul to install a new oil tank this week and put in a replacement used burner so we will have heating but the next step will be to scrap the 16 YO combi and get a new separate tank and boiler in the coming weeks/months/when funds allow!.

Really wish I hadn't put 900 litres of kerosene into a dodgy tank a couple of weeks ago as quite a bit will probably not be salvageable. :-(

*Credit also to Michael D<SNIP> who I know is active on the board who also advised to ring Grant for a local technician when I contacted him last week.

MOD NOTE: I have snipped some text to preserve privacy. Wearb

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Practically all you oil can be saved, you will just need something to pump it into while new tank is being installed (water and oil don't mix, water will be at the bottom if the tank only, and can se syphoned off, then pump the remaining oil in the tank out) ask your local oil supplier for some help, they might oblige you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭John.G

DGOBS wrote: »
    Practically all you oil can be saved, you will just need something to pump it into while new tank is being installed (water and oil don't mix, water will be at the bottom if the tank only, and can se syphoned off, then pump the remaining oil in the tank out) ask your local oil supplier for some help, they might oblige you.

My local supplier removed 930 litres from my tank which split at the top just after a delivery and replaced it with 930 after I installed a new tank, for €60.

• Advertisement
Advertisement