Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH requirements and router access

Options
  • 04-03-2019 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi,

I have rang digiweb and vodafone and went on to EIR website to check if my home can be receive FTTH, all of which said "NO"

On https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ it show my area and my closest cabinet which is less than 100m metres from my house is "Live" but all the above ISPs are telling me it is unavailable in my home.

Thanks to Marlow i can see some of the requirements but still doesn't explain why I can not be provided FTTH.

Marlow wrote: »
    The fibre cable can be brought in a various of manors:
    • Overhead
      • OpenEIR: the last drop can be no more than 50m
      • SIRO: as ESB Networks has to be involved for overhead installs, it can take 4-6 weeks to complete the installation
    • Surface retractable
      • This is a SIRO only type install and requires drilling to get the fibre in, but is otherwise straight forward. It only applies in areas, where building owners have given SIRO permission to run the cabling on the surface of the building.
    • Underground
      • OpenEIR: the ducting guidelines can be found here. Any civils on your own premise (blocked ducting, collapsed ducting, no ducting) are your responsibility to fix.
      • SIRO: the cable is ran through the ESB ducting to your ESB meter. All civils needed up to that point are taken care of by SIRO. SIRO then brings it from there to the nearest double socket to mount the ODP and ONT. You can run your own Cat5e/Cat6 cable to bring the router to a different place in your house.
    /M

Is there some further requirements i am not aware of?

This is a new build that was built on a site of a 250 year old cottage that I was unable to get any sort of decent broadband higher than 1mb even though I had KN engineers tell my they were receiving over 70Mb when they tested but that is another story.

Router Access
    For the 3 Providers mentioned do we have router access so it possible to change settings on the router. e.g port forwarding, DDNS etc.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭CoBo55

If there's a cabinet involved as you say, then you can get fttc and copper pair from the cabinet to the premises, maybe that's where the 70 meg figure is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

If you're within 100m of a cabinet, then you're unlikely to be eligable for FTTH. The FTTH rollout starts 500m out.

On the fibrerollout.ie map is your house tagged with a green house logo ? Or is it under a green shaded area ?

If it is under a green shaded area, then all you are going to get is FTTC ... aka VDSL.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭grimeire

Marlow wrote: »
    If you're within 100m of a cabinet, then you're unlikely to be eligable for FTTH. The FTTH rollout starts 500m out.

On the fibrerollout.ie map is your house tagged with a green house logo ? Or is it under a green shaded area ?

If it is under a green shaded area, then all you are going to get is FTTC ... aka VDSL.

/M

The problem with that is when i applied to get FTTC to the old cottage they said after a tech call to my place to fit the connection that my line would not support it. Not sure the exact reason but the tech told me a different story when he fitted the connection and said he was getting 70MB dl on his tests.

The old cottage is still on the site and instead of going for FTTC to the new build i was hoping for FTTH as more than likely I will be able to get work to pay for it since i mostly work from home.

Also my house is within the green shaded area that signifies fibre status "live".

Thats a balls, it would be useful to have the 1gig connection with all the servers i host.

Are you aware at all as this is a new build will the cable ran to the house be a fibre cable or a standard cable. I would seem silly to me to run an old copper cable when in the future these will more than likely be phased out.

Advertisement