Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cucumber - best one for outdoor sunny spot and best variety indoor green house?

Options
  • 04-03-2019 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭

Ive a sunny spot in the garden, will they grow ok outside in an average Irish summer?

Or is it better to just use the green house? They tend to take up a lot of room thought and its only a small green house.

I dont want to waster my time growing out doors if they will be all leaf though ..

any advise appreciated ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Its more than location...

Is about planting the seeds inside for now and take it outside at the right momentum. Use only "certified organic" seeds...

Once in the outside real world,you will need to take care of them.

I had inside and outside...
    Inside,they are growing everywhere and it needed constant watering and maintenance but the results were outstanding tasty.
    Outside,not so fast and numberwise,we had great summer last year but who is to say hows this summer.

Ther are eassily destroyed by soem infection,they can go off in less than a week.
    I learned the treatment after i lost one season of plants.
    Once i had it under control,there were so many cucumbers (fruits) that i had to dispose in the brown bin...

I'll grow them inside the GH,with a good spot,to allow for expansion and leaf growth.They are self-climbing so allow for that as well,with some wiring and / or pipes that they neeeds.

There are few varieties,small and big in size,you can try both and see which one you like.
    Bigger in size are nice for salads, smalelr a delicious to eat it "raw" inside the greenhouse.

Either way,enjoy it...

474641.jpg

474642.jpg

474643.jpg

Advertisement