Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's dog getting out, worried for my dog

Options
  • 03-03-2019 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

the next door neighbour has an adult German Shepard, the owners have an electric fence but quite often it is not working, he's got out onto the road numerous times and into our front and back garden, their dog has become more aggressive in the last few months and we have a small dog who we don't let out much for fear of being attacked by the German Shepard. is there anything I can do as the owners are oblivious to the danger this dog poses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Call the dog warden to come and have a word with them if you can't secure your garden to keep him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Put up better fencing yourself as if he can get in, then yours can get out too I'm guessing.

Have you spoken to them and voiced your concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

tk123 wrote: »
    Call the dog warden to come and have a word with them if you can't secure your garden to keep him out.

yep dog warden time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Not much frustrates me as an owner of a German Shepherd but owners of GSDs themselves who do not properly contain or control their dog. They do nothing to help the image GSDs have with the general public or the understanding people have of the breed, all because of people letting their dog(s) go wild.

A breed like a GSD is going to come up with their own ideas with what they should be doing and will try to do things to keep themselves entertained if left to their own devices in an open garden where they basically have free access to areas that are not their own, not much of it any good. All completely the owner's fault, not the dog.

I'd also say "dog warden time" if you cannot put up a safe barrier/fencing on your own property, but I can't imagine the outcome being much good for the dog if anything is acted upon if they owners already don't seem to care.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Put up better fencing yourself as if he can get in, then yours can get out too I'm guessing.
    That really depends on the size, athleticism and motivations of the dog.

My sister's previous dog, a collie mix never tried to jump the walls - until a friend was over with her dog and that dog tried to jump the wall. Meanwhile, the Jack Russells we had a home had escape as their perpetual motivation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Victor wrote: »
    that really depends on the size, athleticism and motivations of the dog.

My sister's previous dog, a collie mix never tried to jump the walls - until a friend was over with her dog and that dog tried to jump the wall. Meanwhile, the Jack Russells we had a home had escape as their perpetual motivation.

i lol'ed at this.. ive a huskie who has no interest in leaving her comforts... the neighbor as a little westie who despite there best efforts takes flight once a day, god help them they are trying.

Advertisement