Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a gift

Options
  • 03-03-2019 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A family member has a big birthday coming up and I’d like to give them enough money to buy a good set of golf clubs. They have been using a second hand set for about 2 years. I think their preferred club is titleist and they already have some of the drivers.

I’m clueless about this stuff and don’t want to give them X amount of money only for them to have to put a pile of money to it.

How much would a really good set cost? I can stretch to 600 and with other family members, we could probably gift 1000. What could they get for that? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

1000 would put a brave dent in replacing most of the bag depending on what they need but possibly they don't want the whole bag replaced.

Vouchers for a local golf pro or local fitter would be what most golfers would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

1000 would put a brave dent in replacing most of the bag depending on what they need but possibly they don't want the whole bag replaced.

Vouchers for a local golf pro or local fitter would be what most golfers would like.

The way golf prices are going you would probably only get a set of irons for that.

Just have a look here
    https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/c/golf-clubs/1/titleist_brand

That being said any golfer would jump with joy at the idea of a new set of Irons or alternatively a new set ow Woods. Try maybe book in a fitting day for him. The Gui accademy in carton house does Titleist fittings,

https://www.titleist.co.uk/fitting/golf-club-fitting/national-fitting-centres

or there might be one in a club near you.

Most will refund fitting costs against purchases

Golfers don't tend to change a whole bag at once.
    One year its the irons,
    Next year its the driver
    Next year its the Fairway woods/Rescue
    Next year the wedges

And depending on the individual every week/never the putter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Ronney wrote: »
    The way golf prices are going you would probably only get a set of irons for that.

Just have a look here
    https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/c/golf-clubs/1/titleist_brand

That being said any golfer would jump with joy at the idea of a new set of Irons or alternatively a new set ow Woods. Try maybe book in a fitting day for him. The Gui accademy in carton house does Titleist fittings,

https://www.titleist.co.uk/fitting/golf-club-fitting/national-fitting-centres

or there might be one in a club near you.

Most will refund fitting costs against purchases

Golfers don't tend to change a whole bag at once.
    One year its the irons,
    Next year its the driver
    Next year its the Fairway woods/Rescue
    Next year the wedges

And depending on the individual every week/never the putter

Get onto foregolf in killeen castle. Full fitting, clubs made. That's a serious treat and he would love it I assure you. They are told exactly what clubs to use, what shaft and have clubs tailored to their own personal traits.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

A fitting is a good idea. Foregolf is an expensive but enjoyable fitting, basically the "high end" of the fitting market. Be warned though, they will probably walk out of the fitting with a recommendation for an expensive set of irons. This is not a knock on them, simply its what foregolf is providing (high end fittings).

An unconventional option might be Ben Hogan Golf, a direct to consumer seller of good quality irons. I have not played them myself but they have been well reviewed and cost less due to their change from retail to direct sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

, a direct to consumer seller of good quality irons. I have not played them myself but they have been well reviewed and cost less due to their change from retail to direct sales.

Are they custom fitted?

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    Are they custom fitted?

They have a number of customization options for each order: grip, length, lie, shaft. If you require something special you can just ring them up, they are big on customer service and direct contact.

They don't have a traditional club fitting process because they are direct to consumer sales, no range or shop will have their cubs in house. You should be able to get your numbers from a regular fitting though and use them to place an order.

Also, you can try a couple clubs for 2 weeks for 30 euros (basically shipping costs there and back). I just ordered a demo, I will post something after they come.

They have a number of customization options for each order: grip, length, lie, shaft. If you require something special you can just ring them up, they are big on customer service and direct contact.

Fair enough but then you have to pay someone for the fitting as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

A fitting is a good idea. Foregolf is an expensive but enjoyable fitting, basically the "high end" of the fitting market. Be warned though, they will probably walk out of the fitting with a recommendation for an expensive set of irons. This is not a knock on them, simply its what foregolf is providing (high end fittings).

An unconventional option might be Ben Hogan Golf, a direct to consumer seller of good quality irons. I have not played them myself but they have been well reviewed and cost less due to their change from retail to direct sales.

Incorrect. Foregolf aren't at all pushy and don't up sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

bailey99 wrote: »
    Incorrect. Foregolf aren't at all pushy and don't up sell.

I don’t think they were implying, that they are pushy and upselling.

Rackstar wrote: »
    I don’t think they were implying, that they are pushy and upselling.

They are not pushy or upselling, they were great to deal with. But be aware they stock very high end clubs, and are not afraid to recommend them if thats what your fitting shows (all the way up to PXG!).

I walked out with 2 recommendations for irons which I absolutely believe would be the best possible fit for me.

• Advertisement

Also probably worth mentioning McGuirks do a trackman fitting for 50 euro, which is fully redeemable against any purchase.

https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/page/trackman-fitting/322

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Also probably worth mentioning McGuirks do a trackman fitting for 50 euro, which is fully redeemable against any purchase.

https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/page/trackman-fitting/322

Better way to go IMO. The OP never mentioned what standard the golfer in question was... just my own thoughts but throwing money at a full custom fitting Foregolf session for the average Joe is a waste money.

HighLine wrote:
    Better way to go IMO. The OP never mentioned what standard the golfer in question was... just my own thoughts but throwing money at a full custom fitting Foregolf session for the average Joe is a waste money.

If the average Joe is serious about his game it is far from a waste of money. At a minimum he'll get a really good insight into his game (and potential.)

Foregolf (and all custom fitters) treat customers with respect and give good advice. It is up to the player to decide what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abugarcia

If they like Titleist go with that! They have some of best clubs on the market. €1000 will buy any custom 7 piece set of irons. I’d get fitted out with Mark in Carton house. It’s a super setup and a great experience. I’ve found Halpenny to be the cheapest and best for customer service (imo) they can get you a booking and take it from there.

As I promised, here are my impressions from Ben Hogan Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Thanks a mill for all the insights! I think I’ll err on the side of giving them the cash and a few print outs of details for places with custom fittings do they can choose themselves. Didn’t know about lots of these places so thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Musefan wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for all the insights! I think I’ll err on the side of giving them the cash and a few print outs of details for places with custom fittings do they can choose themselves. Didn’t know about lots of these places so thanks!

Very good plan

Advertisement