Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Society Handicapping

Options
  • 03-03-2019 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Would any of you have advise on a handicap system for a golf society that I'm running?

I'm thinking of using the following

Cat 1 - 0 to 9
    Win = -1
    Outside = +.5
    Cat 2 - 10 to 19
    Win = -2
    Outside =+.5
    Cat 3 - 20 to 29
    Win = -3
    Outside = +1
    Cat 4 - 29+
    Win = -4
    Outside = +1

By outside above we mean

Within 3 shots of third place, so if 3rd place score 33 points nobody will get any shots back if the are between 30 to 33 points.

Please give me any feedback on what you think?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

fran83 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Would any of you have advise on a handicap system for a golf society that I'm running?

I'm thinking of using the following

Cat 1 - 0 to 9
    Win = -1
    Outside = +.5
    Cat 2 - 10 to 19
    Win = -2
    Outside =+.5
    Cat 3 - 20 to 29
    Win = -3
    Outside = +1
    Cat 4 - 29+
    Win = -4
    Outside = +1

By outside above we mean

Within 3 shots of third place, so if 3rd place score 33 points nobody will get any shots back if the are between 30 to 33 points.

Please give me any feedback on what you think?

Thanks in advance.
    Looks a very fair and good system you've come up with, I'd run with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Just keep an eye out as you go for the overall weight. Not really sure how to do this, but sometimes its not easy to see if the whole thing is balanced up or down.
    I was involved in a society where the cut always exceeded the return, so the lower handicaps faired better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

If all your society members are gui holders of h/caps you could ask the host club to set up the computer for ye.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If golfers move between categories you could be facing quite an administration effort as it ages...

We have a simple Cat 1 Cat 2 system.
    Each outing has an overall first prize, a Cat 1 first prize and a Cat 2 first prize (I'm ignoring non-cut prizes like NTP).
    Overall winner gets cut 2 shots, each Cat winner gets cut 1 shot.
    CSS is calculated as the average of the top half scores, 2 shot buffer, outside buffer is +-0.5 regardless of Category, we did have it Cat specific but it was too admin heavy.

No matter what system you have it will be fairer/unfairer for some, just make a decision you can live with from an admin perspective and try it out for a year.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement