Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Anyone else getting crazy snow?!

  • 03-03-2019 3:04pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭✭ PhsycoGinger


    I live in Laois, and it just randomly started snowing like crazy at about 1:00pm today! It's really heavy, and the flakes are huge, but it's not sticking to the ground. Anyone else experiencing this?
    Tagged:


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭ highdef


    There's a thread where the snow (and other weather) is being discussed right now. Nothing crazy about the snow. It was forecast, although it seems to be falling to lower levels (and therefore more of the population are seeing it) than was forecast.

    Here ya go: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057959882&page=5


  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ abaddon_ire


    I live in Laois, and it just randomly started snowing like crazy at about 1:00pm today! It's really heavy, and the flakes are huge, but it's not sticking to the ground. Anyone else experiencing this?

    Yes. D11 and the snow is nutty.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    The bridge in Sallins is impassable. Serious traffic jam


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭ washman3


    How did our expert weather forecasters get this one so wrong.??
    Not a word about snow over the last few days.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 MidMan25


    washman3 wrote: »
    How did our expert weather forecasters get this one so wrong.??
    Not a word about snow over the last few days.

    There's been a thread about this for days :rolleyes:


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭ washman3


    MidMan25 wrote: »
    There's been a thread about this for days :rolleyes:
    I was referring to our friends in Met Eireann.
    The ones treated like celebrities by RTE.
    The ones most people listen to.
    Very few people depend on boards.ie for a forecast.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭ Maldesu


    washman3 wrote: »
    I was referring to our friends in Met Eireann.
    The ones treated like celebrities by RTE.
    The ones most people listen to.
    Very few people depend on boards.ie for a forecast.

    Well, I only check the met website now and then, but this morning I happened to see the little snow symbol marked for around 4pm today. Sure, the snow started a bit earlier, but they aren't in the future telling business.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 MidMan25


    washman3 wrote: »
    I was referring to our friends in Met Eireann.
    The ones treated like celebrities by RTE.
    The ones most people listen to.
    Very few people depend on boards.ie for a forecast.

    Snow is extremely difficult to forecast accurately in this country because conditions are usually right on the line between snow and rain. Snow was mentioned in the forecast yesterday by them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭ washman3


    Maldesu wrote: »
    Well, I only check the met website now and then, but this morning I happened to see the little snow symbol marked for around 4pm today. Sure, the snow started a bit earlier, but they aren't in the future telling business.

    We can all live without the 'future telling business' bit, but would mostly settle for them having a decent stab at predicting the weather forecast.
    We're not talking about an isolated snow shower in a confined area here, which is virtually impossible to predict as we know.
    But many high lying areas of Kerry,Cork and Limerick had in excess of 20 cms earlier today.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭ salmocab


    Maldesu wrote: »
    , but they aren't in the future telling business.

    That’s exactly the business they are in.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭ Maldesu


    washman3 wrote: »
    We can all live without the 'future telling business' bit, but would mostly settle for them having a decent stab at predicting the weather forecast.
    We're not talking about an isolated snow shower in a confined area here, which is virtually impossible to predict as we know.
    But many high lying areas of Kerry,Cork and Limerick had in excess of 20 cms earlier today.

    One or two degrees higher and it would just be pretty standard rain and you'd just be having a good ol' moan about crappy Irish weather. 12 hours ago, when I checked the weather online, on met.ie they indicated potential snow. 24 hours ago, it was different. Weather can change very quickly depending on so many factors, but in reality you don't care. Just stay away from the stock market, cos you'd like that less.
    salmocab wrote: »
    That’s exactly the business they are in.

    Well, they can tell one version of the future, but cos someone had six pints last night instead of five it didn't come true.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭ washman3


    Maldesu wrote: »
    One or two degrees higher and it would just be pretty standard rain and you'd just be having a good ol' moan about crappy Irish weather. 12 hours ago, when I checked the weather online, on met.ie they indicated potential snow. 24 hours ago, it was different. Weather can change very quickly depending on so many factors, but in reality you don't care. Just stay away from the stock market, cos you'd like that less.

    It's actually mind boggling the amount of Irish people (some even proclaiming to be highly intelligent) who continuously fall for this 'Irish weather is so difficult to predict' line.
    The reality is that we have a cohert in Met Eireann living in their own little bubble and feted as celebrities by the equally incompetent media, all the while being gifted astronomical salaries courtesy of the Irish taxpayer.
    Prepare for a red alert of some sort for next weekend, probably a heatwave.!!
    They haven't thought it up yet....ðŸ˜႒


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭ Heroditas


    Can someone provide a link to these "astronomical salaries"?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭ Franz Von Peppercorn


    washman3 wrote: »
    It's actually mind boggling the amount of Irish people (some even proclaiming to be highly intelligent) who continuously fall for this 'Irish weather is so difficult to predict' line.
    The reality is that we have a cohert in Met Eireann living in their own little bubble and feted as celebrities by the equally incompetent media, all the while being gifted astronomical salaries courtesy of the Irish taxpayer.
    Prepare for a red alert of some sort for next weekend, probably a heatwave.!!
    They haven't thought it up yet....ðŸ˜႒

    Maybe, on the other hand weather, snow in particular, is hard to predict.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭ Franz Von Peppercorn


    Heroditas wrote: »
    Can someone provide a link to these "astronomical salaries"?

    10 billion euro a month, as I understand it.


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭ DOCARCH


    washman3 wrote: »
    It's actually mind boggling the amount of Irish people (some even proclaiming to be highly intelligent) who continuously fall for this 'Irish weather is so difficult to predict' line.
    The reality is that we have a cohert in Met Eireann living in their own little bubble and feted as celebrities by the equally incompetent media, all the while being gifted astronomical salaries courtesy of the Irish taxpayer.

    This was (extract from) Met Eireann forecast at around 5am yesterday morning....

    ....in the afternoon the rain will turn to snow....

    Plain and simple. What more do you want?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭✭ PhsycoGinger


    10 billion euro a month, as I understand it.
    Holy ****...


Advertisement