Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can you get a Russian Blue kitten in Ireland?

Options
  • 03-03-2019 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Does anybody know where you might be able to get a Russian Blue cat? They seem to be very hard to come by. There was a breeder in Cork but they are taking a break for a year, one in Wicklow who doesn't seem to have any available, and one in Tipperary who has recently retired. I'm surprised it's hard to find such a popular cat that reaches such high prices for a breeder.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Are you finding these breeders through the cat clubs or elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭loughrey2887

I'm finding them through Google, Facebook, and the Russian Blue British association. They are all I can find here in Ireland but none have any available in the near future. I'm just asking here as there might be more out there that are not openly advertised on the internet. I'm told they're highly sought after in Ireland so I'm surprised there are no more breeders out there as they make good money on their sale as they can reach 700-800 euros. That kind of money isn't an issue for me, it's finding one that's hard.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thanks for the reply. I will try contacting GCCFi. I went to the SABCCI website and their list of breeders don't have any Blue Russians listed so I presume none of joined this group. We don't seem to have any Russian Blue association in Ireland and the only one registered to the British one is has retired from the breeding hobby for a year.

Did you ask if the people taking a year out know of anyone else.

A year is not an unreasonable amount of time to be on a waiting list when buying a pedigree dog. I'm sure it's similar for pedigree cats.

• Advertisement

Did you ask if the people taking a year out know of anyone else.

A year is not an unreasonable amount of time to be on a waiting list when buying a pedigree dog. I'm sure it's similar for pedigree cats.

I actually found one. On the breeder's website they said they have decided to end breeding and won't be selling any more kittens and are now trying to sell of their adult cats as life circumstances have forced them to give up. So I decided to chance calling them as maybe they might know someone else and to my surprise, they said they decided to give it one final shot and now all their females are pregnant with one expecting a litter next month and it seems there's no waiting list as nobody knows so I should get the pick. Fingers crossed it works out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement