Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish holidays not showing in Mac & iOS Calendar apps?

Options
  • 03-03-2019 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

According to info on the web, a Mac should show the public/bank/some religious holidays in the Calendar app, according to the country chosen in the Language and Region System Preference (and if the Show Holidays Calendar option is ticked in Calendar preferences).

It's never worked on my Macs, since the introduction of the Calendar app (replacing iCal), but it never really bothered me that it didn't work for Ireland, as I just subscribed to the old iCal calendars which are available on Apple's servers (handy, as you can subscribe to multiple holiday calendars, if you work with people in other countries), although they haven't been updated since 2010, and I have now found that they are not populated past Christmas 2018.

I tested the current system, and found that if I change the Region on my Mac to UK, US, or France, the holidays for those countries populate my Calendar app (not that useful though, because even the UK bank holidays are largely different to ours).
    As soon as I change the Region setting back to Ireland, there are no holidays shown at all - annoying when you are trying to organise future events, etc.

Does this affect all Irish-region-set Macs, or is my AppleID at fault? (the same thing happens with Irish/other regions on my iPhone).

Note that if you're changing the region, you have to un-tick/re-tick the Show Holidays Calendar in Calendar preferences, to get the Mac to refresh things.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Maybe it just doesn't work for Ireland. I don't recall Irish holidays ever being displayed without having to subscribe to google or ical calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

It doesn't work for Ireland, but I read in an Apple support doc (that I can't find now) that it works for all regions (ie: all places that are defined as a region in MacOS/iOS/iCloud). Seeing as Ireland is a reasonably big place, and is the EU HQ for Apple, I'm a bit surprised...

Anyway, I managed to find some third-party iCal-format Irish and UK holiday calendars to subscribe to, but I'm relying on the accuracy of some random person who wrote them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mine shows St Patrick's Day, and St Patrick's Day observed?

whiterebel wrote: »

Patrick’s Day falls on a Sunday this year, so it’s observed (everything closes) on the Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Got a gmail/google account in your accounts pane in settings? Google calendar has these Irish holidays.

• Advertisement

Ok, after looking at things again, I got a chance to look at a mate's Mac, and saw that he was using the Apple iCal calendars, but they were populated for 2019 (at least). I had unsubscribed them (or maybe other, out-of-date versions of them - I can't confirm the URLs that I was using) a few days ago, but I added the ones he is using, and everything is fine again.

These are the URLs that work (at present!) for the UK & Irl:

http://ical.mac.com/ical/UK32Holidays.ics
    http://ical.mac.com/ical/Irish32Holidays.ics

I did turn on my Google calendar, but it only works for Ireland (I work with people based in the UK, so it's handy to see their ones too), and I prefer the Mac-based ones anyway (there are some slight differences).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Type 17 wrote: »
    Patrick’s Day falls on a Sunday this year, so it’s observed (everything closes) on the Monday.

Yes, I know that, I was just showing the OP that it recognises both.

Yes, I know that, I was just showing the OP that it recognises both.

Ah, ok - I thought you meant something else.

Advertisement