Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with un-used old broad band box?

Options
  • 02-03-2019 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭

Hi all

What can be done with broad band boxes that are not being used anymore? Have a couple of them from down through the years from changing companies.

I'd rather not return them cause it's not worth the money.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fiverfriday

Hi all

What can be done with broad band boxes that are not being used anymore? Have a couple of them from down through the years from changing companies.

I'd rather not return them cause it's not worth the money.

Thanks

If the company aren't willing to collect, drop it into the bin or an electrical wholesalers who might recycle them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Drop off at local electrical store or recycling centre where council run as they take anything with a plug on it and also batteries, used oil etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I read somewhere they'd can be used as routers or something in the house, for better broadband..... Something like that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭grimeire

some if connected via Ethernet to an existing network can act as an access point mode.

I can confirm this is true with a sky router i previously used as an AP but i had to disable DHCP and change some basic network settings.

this may not be the case with all router

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Sell them or use them to extend wifi in your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Do these store any personal info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Sell them or use them to extend wifi in your house.
    How do I do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

How do I do that?
    https://lifehacker.com/how-to-extend-your-wi-fi-network-with-an-old-router-915783308

In a nutshell, turn off DHCP and run a wire from your main router.

Advertisement