Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree identification help, please

Options
  • 02-03-2019 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, I'm trying to identify what type of tree this is at the end of the Grand Parade. Does anyone have any ideas? The pictures are quite poor so they're mostly just to identify which tree I'm talking about if anyone already knows the Grand Parade tree types. Thanks!

m2tLlUY.jpg

ybwq720.jpg

national-monument.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

That's Cork is it?
    Winter Flowering Cherry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'd take a wild first stab at Sorbus aucuparia Sheerwater Seedling and here's why

Sorbus aucuparia Sheerwater Seedling is planted as a street tree
    The shape is right
    You can see what seems to be the remaining multiple pedicels after the fruit is gone. (pedicel - bit of stem that joins the flower and then fruit to the tree)

Now I don't actually think there are quite enough pedicels for it to be Sorbus aucuparia Sheerwater Seedling so another possible which I'm leaning towards is Sorbus thuringiaca 'Fastigiata' (aka upright form of the Bastard service tree), all we need is half a rotted leaf to say if its Sorbus thuringiaca 'Fastigiata' because it has very characteristic leaves which are like a cross between Sorbus aria and Sorbus aucuparia (hence I suspect the name Bastard service tree - Mountain ash x Wild service tree).

Sorbus thuringiaca 'Fastigiata' leaf http://gallery.nen.gov.uk/asset61855-.html
    Some more pics https://www.ebben.nl/en/treeebb/sotfasti-sorbus-x-thuringiaca-fastigiata/

Sorry no good winter picks but if you search the nursery sites that sell it you may come across some winter pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,291 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are those dark blobs pedicels? I thought they were flowers.

looksee wrote: »
    Are those dark blobs pedicels? I thought they were flowers.

Don't know of many trees that flower in winter, but if you can come up with a better name for the bits of stalk left over after the flowers and finally the fruit has dropped off (or been eaten by birds) then thats fine by me. Pedicel was the only thing that came to mind when I was groping for a description.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,291 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was not disputing that they might be pedicels, but I thought they were flowers, and yes there are quite a lot of trees in flower at the moment.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I was not disputing that they might be pedicels, but I thought they were flowers, and yes there are quite a lot of trees in flower at the moment.

No tree I can think of with that form and stature. Its the tight nature of the crown that makes whatever it as good street tree. The number of commonly planted street trees is depressingly small. Both the ones I mentioned are specified by landscape architects and the Sorbus thuringiaca 'Fastigiata' would be one of the more interesting rarer ones.

Some more input from the OP would be helpful, for example he might have photographed the trees because they were in flower at this time of year or had interesting fruit at this time of year?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'd agree with Looksee, if I zoom in on the photos those look like flowers (or buds, anyway) to me, too. Also, I remember seeing trees in full bloom (clusters of small, white flowers) in both Fairview park and the CoI church at the top of the Howth road as early as December and January. I still don't know what they were, I only know they were gorgeous.

New Home wrote: »
    I'd agree with Looksee, if I zoom in on the photos those look like flowers (or buds, anyway) to me, too. Also, I remember seeing trees in full bloom (clusters of small, white flowers) in both Fairview park and the CoI church at the top of the Howth road as early as December and January. I still don't know what they were, I only know they were gorgeous.

There is something there but what I don't really know?

Landscape architects can only plant whats available and if you search what the large nurseries (including the UK and Holland) have in stock you'll find there is quite a limited list.

We can speculate all sorts of rare and wonderful trees but if no one has them for sale they aren't likely to have been planted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BazzFan123

Thank you for all of your help :D It is definitely flowering, which is why it caught my eye. They're small and white if that helps. I will try and get a better picture of it up close next time I am passing which will hopefully be tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 44 FarmersSon

Looks like a Pyrus calleryana 'Chanticleer' aka Ornamental Pear.

Gives great autumnal colour as well as spring time flowers.

• Advertisement

[HTML][/HTML]
    FarmersSon wrote: »
    Looks like a Pyrus calleryana 'Chanticleer' aka Ornamental Pear.

Gives great autumnal colour as well as spring time flowers.

Definitely has the Pyrus upright look and branch structure, pears are also very early flowering just seems too early even for this year? Its always hard to give definite flowering dates but April-May is when I'd be thinking about pears being in flower.

Edit> Looking and some sites https://www.chewvalleytrees.co.uk/products/detail/pyrus-calleryana-chanticleer give March-April as the flowering period.

Advertisement