Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warming up for a game

Options
  • 01-03-2019 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Does anyone find they have to go to a driving range and hit a few balls before a game..
    I find i need to hit balls for 30 mins before I play or i will be over the place..
    Even at the range my first 5 or 6 shots tend to be crap

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Does anyone find they have to go to a driving range and hit a few balls before a game..
    I find i need to hit balls for 30 mins before I play or i will be over the place..
    Even at the range my first 5 or 6 shots tend to be crap

Have done it a number of times but never noticed an improvement in performance. Now I just do a good stretch and a few practice swings. Sometimes I'll hit the nets but again I never noticed any improvement.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

load of twaddle get out of the car with me head all over the camp 30 seconds before tee off and lamp it up the middle. if i take me time arrive early practice putts, stretch and use the nett i duck hook or slice me way around. Expectations v No expectations, 2nd one wins all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I've been trying to make an effort to get to the course early to get in a quick warm up. We have a small range, so will hit around 20 balls.

For me, it's not as much about the warm up as trying to figure out which swing I have with me that day. Suffering from a bit of a 2-way miss in the recent past, so am looking to figure if I've got my fade or draw (read slice or hook) swing with me on that day.

I'm not trying to fix the problem with 20 balls pre-round, just try help determine what my targets & approaches will be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I've been trying to make an effort to get to the course early to get in a quick warm up. We have a small range, so will hit around 20 balls.

For me, it's not as much about the warm up as trying to figure out which swing I have with me that day. Suffering from a bit of a 2-way miss in the recent past, so am looking to figure if I've got my fade or draw (read slice or hook) swing with me on that day.

I'm not trying to fix the problem with 20 balls pre-round, just try help determine what my targets & approaches will be

I would do exactly the same when I was having two way misses. Just enough shots to let me figure out where to aim to get around the course.

Generally now hit a few wedges into the nets now just to free up but always get a few putts usually with the putt out to get a read of the greens on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Always do my warm up in the car on the way to the course, heater on full blast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

During the summer I would go up to the short game area and practice chipping and pitching for 20 mins, just to get the feel. Unfortunately we don't have a long game area, it would be nice to hit a couple of drives and see which way they are going.

I used to be a member in Westport and really noticed the difference when they upgraded their practice area to a driving range, it meant that the first 3 or 4 holes played a bit easier, I could visualise the shots I should be playing and practice them before going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Rarely have time to hit balls pre round but I do and extreme stretching routine on the first tee. I’m relatively new to the club so I can imagine my playing partners looking on thinking ‘what is this clown at’

It’s not Jimenez level but close. Find it really beneficial. Also 100% agree with the poster above re the lower the expectations the better the round

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

anyone have any links online to a good warm up stretching routine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I've always found that after a run or jog, I always play better. Loosens up all the joints, get's the blood flowing. Not always practical though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Arrive 20 minutes before hand. Do a couple of stretches as I walk from the car into the pro shop. Quick chat with the lads. Bit of a jog back to the car because I spent too long chatting. Sprint down to the first tee, 2-3 vigorous practice swings and away we go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

valoren wrote: »
    I've always found that after a run or jog, I always play better. Loosens up all the joints, get's the blood flowing. Not always practical though.

What distance would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

What distance would you do?

5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

valoren wrote: »
    5km.

I'm wrecked just thinking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I have found that my round has been better by hitting a few balls beforehand. Nothing major. Just get a small bucket of 20 to 30 balls, get the feel of the clubs. Find my right posture etc. Get a few bad shots out of the way. Probably all in the head!

If i got a 100 ball bucket I'd be in bits having to go out and do a round after that. Need to find the balance.

I've tended to feel rushed for the first few holes if I rock up just in time to tee-off and don't give enough time for at least a bit of a stretch or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah, a few balls on the driving range helps me. Not just to warm up the swing, but also to warm up the body on these cold mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm in the minority so! In the summer I usually arrive around an hour to 90 minutes before my round. I'll split that time into 3 sections - putting, short game and long game, and keep a bit of time in the pro shop too.

I actually love that part of my round! If I don't warm up, at least hitting a bucket of balls, I'm never confident of giving myself a proper chance of hitting a good one off the 1st tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

I prefer to hit 10-20 warm up shots if possible. Nets are not ideal for this but better than nothing.

After that, a couple of min putting to get a feel for the speed of the greens. Strictly not practice, just do some drills around figuring the speed. My favorite is 3 balls at 2, 4, 6 meter distance and try to put it just past the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

SuprSi wrote: »
    I'm in the minority so! In the summer I usually arrive around an hour to 90 minutes before my round. I'll split that time into 3 sections - putting, short game and long game, and keep a bit of time in the pro shop too.

I actually love that part of my round! If I don't warm up, at least hitting a bucket of balls, I'm never confident of giving myself a proper chance of hitting a good one off the 1st tee.

I wish I could commit to doing the same, theres always at least one part of my game I wish I could check on before the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭blackbox

I find that getting in a few practice putts is the most important preparation. Mainly to get the pace.

My first drive can go anywhere, but I do like to stretch a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

I always try to give myself 15 minutes to have a few chips and putts... Rarely works out that way.. I either run late, playing partners are ready to go early or too much chin wagging with the lads!!

When I do get the time though, I hit 6 chips into 6 flags on practice green, upslope. I then repeat the drill from other side so it's downslope. Then I hit putting green. 2 balls. A few from fringe. A few long rakers. Then concentrate on 10 foot, 6 foot, 4 foot and then I leg it to tee box!!

For the likes of Captains day or big competition I might get 30 balls and have a few digs on the driving range.. we can't hit driver or 3 wood though as it's too short.. Good for getting the eye in for the irons though..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I've started just taking the crappy balls from my practice bag and hitting them in the driving range without collecting them, saves most of the time as we can hit driver on ours...

Other than that is chipping and putting

Advertisement