Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transitioning to Scrumhalf

• 01-03-2019 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭

So, some opinions needed.

Ive spent my whole playing life playing on the wing or at 15 (with the odd cameo here or there depending on who wants a 10 min nap in any given game) and still play at a relatively decent level. But I'm mid 30's now and am losing the pace needed to be competitive in my position, so I'm thinking of moving to 9 and giving something different a go.

Am I mad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭KBurke85

My thinking would be a nine would do more running in a game than a full back or wing. You need to get to every ruck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

KBurke85 wrote: »
    My thinking would be a nine would do more running in a game than a full back or wing. You need to get to every ruck

Running isn't an issue at all, I'm plenty fit. Its just my once blistering pace *pats on back:P is diminishing. I would imagine being at 9 doesn't require as much speed per se, but a lot more running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Cartroubles

Is your team missing a 9?

Is your team missing a 9?

No, its just a position I've always wanted to try and think I'd be able for it and if I'm able to give it a go then why not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

think its a bit mad/wishful thinking given age - I played quite a few positions, and scrum half really is a young persons position , you need to keep up with play constantly - you rarely get a break, like you would at full back or wing - think centre might be a better choice or perhaps maybe do full back only , i can understand that wing also gets tougher as you get older and lose pace.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

are you a hot headed mouthy little fcuk ???

:D

sydthebeat wrote: »
    are you a hot headed mouthy little fcuk ???

:D

Haha I am yeah! That’s a plus

thebaz wrote: »
    think its a bit mad/wishful thinking given age - I played quite a few positions, and scrum half really is a young persons position , you need to keep up with play constantly - you rarely get a break, like you would at full back or wing - think centre might be a better choice or perhaps maybe do full back only , i can understand that wing also gets tougher as you get older and lose pace.

Thanks for the advice, and informative post! I’m in my 20+ season so moving would be difficult, I agree that it’s generally young lads and I can see why! But I have the fitness that’s for sure! FB only I’d love, but our FB is class and truth be told will be with the firsts in the AIL in a couple of years I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Can you pass well off both hands? Thats the most important thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Certainly not mad. I think if you feel inside that you are a scrumhalf, and are comfortable self-identifying as one, then no one should tell you you cant make the move. Bigots and old fashioned die hards may try to tell you that unless you have always been one then you can just decide to become one. Feck them though. Its 2019. You go for it scrummie.

• Advertisement

clsmooth wrote: »
    Can you pass well off both hands? Thats the most important thing

Yeah, I have my dominate side but both are handy! (Pun very much intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Certainly not mad. I think if you feel inside that you are a scrumhalf, and are comfortable self-identifying as one, then no one should tell you you cant make the move. Bigots and old fashioned die hards may try to tell you that unless you have always been one then you can just decide to become one. Feck them though. Its 2019. You go for it scrummie.

I define as a non-binary non-ability backrow...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭JitzNdHitz

Changing to scrum half in 30s is a no go. No management is gonna change up an established scrum half for a former winger who is deciding he's gassed on his pace. You will need pace getting into position each offensive play.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Really depends on what level you’re playing at and how much you are willing to do additional training. I went from playing center and blindside to playing a full season at SH, at the ripe old age of 40. That was in a development team though as the coach decided he’d prefer someone experienced there, rather than a player just starting out. My decision making was pretty good but I had to work really hard on my passing and kicking. It’s not impossible but I’d say if you’re talking J3 or above it won’t happen. Maybe moving to 12 might be an easier transition if you’re playing at that level. You don’t need the top end pace there that you do in the back three.

I think the general consensus is it’s doable but not easy! I’m playing at a much lower level now than I ever have (J2/3) but I suppose I have experience on my side if anything! Sure I can’t see why I shouldn’t give it a shot and if it doesn’t work it doesn’t work! Our SH’s are excellent, but we’ve only got 2 and seasons are long these days

Thanks for the advice everyone, but can I be a non-binary gender fluid 9 who only identifies with even numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

JitzNdHitz wrote: »
    Changing to scrum half in 30s is a no go. No management is gonna change up an established scrum half for a former winger who is deciding he's gassed on his pace. You will need pace getting into position each offensive play.
    Certainly isnt a no go and while OP says theyre playing at a relatively decent level we dont know what level it is and scrum half is as much about game management, awareness as anything else. you dont need massive pace to play scrum half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Running isn't an issue at all, I'm plenty fit. Its just my once blistering pace *pats on back:P is diminishing. I would imagine being at 9 doesn't require as much speed per se, but a lot more running

You should put on seven stone and come play in the forwards. You'll always get your game, you will pull all the birds, you won't ever have to worry about losing pace as nobody will expect you to have any pace and best of all, nobody will hate your guys and think you are a cocky so and so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

There is more to it than most would have you believe, things around the side of the scrum and rucks require experience, but the most important thing is an ability to see the flow of the game - when it needs to slow down and when to speed up - and being able to pass consistently off both hands at speed. Like getting a ball off the top of a line out and needing to hit a crashing Centre off your left, comfortable? Getting to every ruck and also knowing which line to run in support is also important. Out and out pace less so, just endurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Yeah don’t think pure pace a must. Don’t even think kicking that important at lower levels. No junior teams base their game plans around pinpoint box kicks and chasing wingers. But passing and option taking essential. Nothing more frustrating as an outside than seeing the 9 head down the blindside and bundled into touch while the 3 on 1 overlap existed on the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'm an aging 9 who is played primarily on the wing so I can relate to you.

I much prefer 9 because there is a lot more to do so I can stay in the game a lot more mentally.

I just don't have it in me anymore to be doing the 60 metre sprints (often chasing back I might add...)

The hardest part of playing 9 is when it's a nice day and the lads try and play wide-wide. There might be times I've had to cover 300m in 4 phases when we're trying to stretch defense but for the most part it's fine.

It's a lot of constant running but very little high intensity running.

If you've played a lot of full back you can add that in to your scrumhalf play. I know a lot of teams including us go for that auxiliary sweeper/ back field cover when a winger has shot up.

Also. Nuts to anyone saying you can't or shouldn't. If you can pass you'll be fine. You've the experience clearly which takes a lot of pressure off 10.

Have you a bit of size on you? Huge advantage at any level for a 9 but I've seen a lot of decent sized 9's prosper at junior rugby when they've a bit of ballast on them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

you'd want to be careful using the phrase transitioning, Graham Lenihan will be on to you in no time :pac:

I much prefer 9 because there is a lot more to do so I can stay in the game a lot more mentally.

Have you a bit of size on you? Huge advantage at any level for a 9 but I've seen a lot of decent sized 9's prosper at junior rugby when they've a bit of ballast on them

Yeah the wing can get quiet at J3 level and attention can drift away, I find I’m much better and more consistent in the games that spread out wide more and have us wingers involved, so I imagine at 9 you just don’t have the time to drift off

I’d be the ave size back field player, touching 6ft and stocky enough! Normal amateur winger/FB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

So you're a fullback that identifies as a scrum half?
    Is there such a thing as transpostional operations? You'll need one if true

Advertisement