Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to avoid

Options
  • 28-02-2019 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I've seen a house which really suits our budget and felt really cosy. However not sure about the safety at night of the place, it's in Portlaoise but a friend told us to be careful as it's an old council estate. However it's close to centre and schools etc. What would you do?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

tatsplat wrote: »
    I've seen a house which really suits our budget and felt really cosy. However not sure about the safety at night of the place, it's in Portlaoise but a friend told us to be careful as it's an old council estate. However it's close to centre and schools etc. What would you do?

Is it near St Bridgets or Knockmay and what street is it on?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,352 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

O'moore place?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tatsplat

Stheno wrote: »
    Is it near St Bridgets or Knockmay and what street is it on?

St Brígid's. I had a Google of the place and saw someone had been done for assault up there. We have a baby so want somewhere safe, iykwim

• Subscribers Posts: 41,352 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

St Brígid's. I had a Google of the place and saw someone had been done for assault up there. We have a baby so want somewhere safe, iykwim

thats one of the oldest council estates in the town, so the demography would be towards the older age groups. whilst not the best area in town, not the worst either... the newer council estates would be considered worse.
    some good salt of the earth people there, but also some second generation long term unemployed as well.

the quality of house wouldn't be great from an insulation point of view, unless its been upgraded... the BER will give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tatsplat

Yes we've been warned against Mountmellick Rd! The house had a woodburning stove in (a wee one) and felt really warm n cosy. Thanks for the tip

• Advertisement
Advertisement