Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardenline electric scarifier

Options
  • 28-02-2019 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone have one of these? Lawn is full off moss and is north east facing. I was thinking of buying one of these to use 2 or 3 times a year. Has 3 year warranty so thought i'd give it a go. Would be interested to hear if anybody has used one from aldi.

Thanks

https://www.aldi.ie/electric-rake-and-lawn-scarifier/p/011974261079700

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Interested in this as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭jaffa20

lordgoat wrote: »
    Interested in this as well

The old version got good reviews on uk website with a shorter cable so think I'll go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

LOL a lawn scarifier with a collection box.

If its any good and your lawn is full of moss you won't go more than a couple of yards before the collection box is full. The problem with any scarifier is that it doesn't just pull the moss out it sort of fluffs it up increasing its volume. That said if its a problem just scarify with out the box on and rake up afterwards.

my3cents wrote: »
    LOL a lawn scarifier with a collection box.

If its any good and your lawn is full of moss you won't go more than a couple of yards before the collection box is full. The problem with any scarifier is that it doesn't just pull the moss out it sort of fluffs it up increasing its volume. That said if its a problem just scarify with out the box on and rake up afterwards.

I already know that collection box will be the cleanest thing in my shed for a while to come.

I guess it's possible to go over it with lawnmower after scarifying to pick up all the moss and then rake the rest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I guess it's possible to go over it with lawnmower after scarifying to pick up all the moss and then rake the rest?

Not really. There are some mowers that would do it on a good dry day but if you are using an electric scarifier you aren't likely to have a big ride on mower capable of picking up enough of it to make it worth while.

Until you have used a scarifier you really don't know what you are letting yourself in for.

I wouldn't want to put anyone off but it can be a lot of work, just make sure you realise that before you start.

my3cents wrote: »
    Not really. There are some mowers that would do it on a good dry day but if you are using an electric scarifier you aren't likely to have a big ride on mower capable of picking up enough of it to make it worth while.

Until you have used a scarifier you really don't know what you are letting yourself in for.

I wouldn't want to put anyone off but it can be a lot of work, just make sure you realise that before you start.

Agree I've done a small front lawn and have 8 big plastic bags filled with moss. Didn't think it would take me this long, hence why buy this fella for 80 blips seems like a solid investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

This forum is worse than bargain alerts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

I had the Aldi version for 3 years up until last year when I converted the garden to artificial grass. 3 racehorses (my dogs) finally led to that decision.

I found the scarifier really good. As some posters have already said, the collection box was far too small/useless. I scarified without the box and mowed the residue up with the lawnmower afterwards.

The area I'm talking about was about 71 metres in total.

It was the reseeding, raking in and watering afterwards that was the hardest work imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

jomalone14 wrote: »
    I had the Aldi version for 3 years up until last year when I converted the garden to artificial grass. 3 racehorses (my dogs) finally led to that decision.

I found the scarifier really good. As some posters have already said, the collection box was far too small/useless. I scarified without the box and mowed the residue up with the lawnmower afterwards.

The area I'm talking about was about 71 metres in total.

It was the reseeding, raking in and watering afterwards that was the hardest work imho.

Agree with the above, have the same scarifier with 3 years and the collection box is a joke. I have a largish garden but have a big box on my mower so use this to collect up. I have on occasion let the collection with the mower for a day or two to let the moss dry up/ a bit. I do usually go over some bad areas a second time in the opposite direction and overall find the scarifier effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

I have the Lidl version and it is very effective. Forget about the collection box and rake and bag after yourself.

All I need to do now if find a store that still has one!

Used mine today. Was probably a bit too early but couldn't resist. Easy to use and powerful but raking was very time consuming. Filled 8 bin bags with moss and dead grass. I think i need to have another go in a few weeks as still lots of moss left and then use grass seeds and feed. Think i should have cut the lawn much shorter before i used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Used mine today. Was probably a bit too early but couldn't resist. Easy to use and powerful but raking was very time consuming. Filled 8 bin bags with moss and dead grass. I think i need to have another go in a few weeks as still lots of moss left and then use grass seeds and feed. Think i should have cut the lawn much shorter before i used it.

To be fair it can only a good thing to remove all that crap from your lawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

lordgoat wrote: »
    I already know that collection box will be the cleanest thing in my shed for a while to come.

ae123ca46290dca53a86152f629cef8b6199225e.jpg
    Just get one of these when you're in picking up the scarifier (they're huge).
    Have it somewhere nearby, it makes it quick and easy to empty - a lot easier than having to try and rake it up/whatever later.

Advertisement