Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding properties to rent

Options
  • 28-02-2019 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi,

So been on the hunt for myself and my partner for a place to rent, looking for a one bed and fairly flexible on the location (Dublin area). There just seems to be very few properties available on daft etc. Is it worth getting on to letting agents directly or do they usually just advertise on daft etc. themselves?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

tolow wrote: »
    Hi,

So been on the hunt for myself and my partner for a place to rent, looking for a one bed and fairly flexible on the location (Dublin area). There just seems to be very few properties available on daft etc. Is it worth getting on to letting agents directly or do they usually just advertise on daft etc. themselves?

Cheers

It wouldn't hurt if you have the time.

In a different context: although my cv was on file with employment agencies, I cycled every fortnight between a) resending my cv and b) a phone enquiry. There would be a surge of proposals in the day or two directly after each "aktion"

In other words, thought "the system" implies everything will go on Daft, you approaching directly might just grab something that's landed on the table and before it goes up on Daft. A bit like a flyer through the door has opportunity to hit between letterbox and bin.

Perhaps consider an email shot: your profile, attachements of the relevant documentation, budget etc. And send weekly to all the letting agents. It won't take much time and you might just get a bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

No idea - I’ve been looking, we have a fairly high budget for a family home but can’t get any replies from any agents on daft etc. Husband starts work in Dublin in April, we are living abroad and are pretty much gonna be in Airbnb until we find something :/

Don’t want to start calling and annoying them in case they start putting us on a blacklist or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Set up alerts on daft, LL's get swamped with offers so they may only be up for a couple of hours. If you set up alerts you will at least get an email

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

No idea - I’ve been looking, we have a fairly high budget for a family home but can’t get any replies from any agents on daft etc. Husband starts work in Dublin in April, we are living abroad and are pretty much gonna be in Airbnb until we find something :/

Don’t want to start calling and annoying them in case they start putting us on a blacklist or something.

There is going to be a massive curtailment of AirBnBs come June so book early. My place is filling up faster thane expected and is blocked off from end of may onward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Maybe see if there is a notice board or similar in the place your husband will be working? If it's a transfer from another location maybe ask local colleagues or something.

On the "open market" competition is fierce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

Thanks for all the replies to myself - we’ve asked hubbys new place of work but as they ordinarily don’t do relocations from abroad they’ve no idea and have said they’d help out by putting us up for a week.

Thanks on the tips on setting up alerts (I have done already but I’ll set up more) and I will indeed register with local estate agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

There is going to be a massive curtailment of AirBnBs come June so book early. My place is filling up faster thane expected and is blocked off from end of may onward.

Having the same experience myself.
    I put mine on Airbnb until May and its almost full up already.
    <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

<snip>

Even on other platforms you're still going to require planning permission if the let is under 2 weeks sadly. I'm too much of a pus... worrier to not do it all 100% above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,291 ✭✭✭✭L1011

<snip>

It is short term letting, not AirBnB specifically, that is to be restricted

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

LotharIngum, you have already received a warning and an infraction for similar posts. Stop.

Do not respond to this post on thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

Cheers for the replies guys. Have a couple of viewings lined up this week so hopefully we have some luck

Advertisement