Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snag List Addressing

Options
  • 28-02-2019 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi guys,

Got our snag list back, some minor issues, some less minor. So far so good.

One issue is that the doors were poorly hung, many don't close well, etc.

Was round the house yesterday to check a few bits, and someone notices that they've addressed this specific item by essentially butchering the ends of the doors with a plane, looks like they took an axe to shave them down. It looks disgraceful.

My question is, what do you do with the likes of this? And what do you do if seller potentially refuses to address some issues (borders not in line with planning, that kind of thing)?

Thanks,

a newbie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

On the door I'd insist they fix it, replacing it if necessary. I've only gone through this process once though and was fortunate to have a decent builder.

You need the hassle and expense of rectifying stuff like that like you need a hole in the head. I wouldn't let yourself be pushed around by them.

If by border you mean boundary then I'd be very careful. Have you spotted a deviation from the plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Was round the house yesterday to check a few bits, and someone notices that they've addressed this specific item by essentially butchering the ends of the doors with a plane, looks like they took an axe to shave them down. It looks disgraceful.

They've removed one snag and created another. Send photos requesting new doors.
    And what do you do if seller potentially refuses to address some issues (borders not in line with planning, that kind of thing)?

Forward to your solicitor for his advice. In writing.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would imagine they've taken the cheap "fix" in the hope you'll accept it second time round.

I'd push back, certainly would not expect to have to plane doors in a brand new build to get them to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 baileyborough

Thanks for the input. I'll push back. As someone else said to me recently, there's going to inevitably be **** that we won't spot once we're in, so dig our heels in about what we do know.
    Ronaldinho wrote: »
    If by border you mean boundary then I'd be very careful. Have you spotted a deviation from the plans?

I won't get stuck in the weeds, but the walls they have put on part of the boundary aren't in line with planning. The boundary itself is accurate, they've just gone cheap route with regards to what kind of wall they have. It's something I'm leaving with my solicitor but pushing on that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I’m going to counter a little on the doors.

Are they swinging correctly and square overall?

If you’re putting in flooring you’re going to need to chop a centimeter or more off the bottom anyway. Provided the butchering is less than that, it doesn’t matter a tap from your point of view except for the annoyance of the shoddy job.

Bring it up but prioritise the other stuff. It’ll stick in your craw but I wouldn’t waste time arguing over it because you’ll only be redoing it yourself first thing after you move in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement