Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Term Foster (3/4 Months)

Options
  • 27-02-2019 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi hope this is the right spot.

Im looking for some advice. It looks like ill need to go over seas to work for 3/4 months. So will need to make arrangements for my lurcher. Previously my parents have been able to help, but they are just not able to any longer. Ive had him in boarding kennels numerous times, but he really doesnt like it and its fine for short term but for longer term I just dont think it would be good for him. (he loves the couch and my bed too much)

Has anyone come across anywhere that has a more home environment ? or foster situation ? The boarding kennels ive seen are all very sterile. Hes a, <snip> dog so I might ask them for their advice.

Any info or suggestions most welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

Anic1979 wrote: »
    Hi hope this is the right spot.

Im looking for some advice. It looks like ill need to go over seas to work for 3/4 months. So will need to make arrangements for my lurcher. Previously my parents have been able to help, but they are just not able to any longer. Ive had him in boarding kennels numerous times, but he really doesnt like it and its fine for short term but for longer term I just dont think it would be good for him. (he loves the couch and my bed too much)

Has anyone come across anywhere that has a more home environment ? or foster situation ? The boarding kennels ive seen are all very sterile. Hes a, <snip> dog so I might ask them for their advice.

Any info or suggestions most welcome

Do you have your own home? If so I would suggest getting a pet sitter in while you are away. There are sites where somone looks after your pets and home in return for free rent. I do it all the time with my lot.

There is also house my dog where minders look after dogs in their home. Might get expensive though and that’s if you can find someone who will do several months at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

There are several home boarding services, where the dog stays in the home of the boarding people. Im sure you could phone some of these people and have a discussion about a reduced rate as its so long term? Maybe you could find a friend or family member who would have your dog for the duration? Some rescues will have a dog back for a time when there is a situation like yours, although for this long it would be really unfair to your dog to go back to a shelter/rescue. Where are you based OP? Could you bring your dog with you when you go abroad? We took one of our dogs with us when we went to UK for 8 weeks - worked pretty well, as he had a torn cruciate, so couldnt leave him with others...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Anic1979

Thanks guys - thats helpful. I cant bring him as its Bangcock and he's hate the heat... Ill put more feelers out and see whats out there. Job mighn't happen but Id like to be prepared if it does. Im in Dublin city so I can chat to his regular dog walker and see if she might have any pals who need a bed and would mind a dog !

Advertisement