Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a Second Job - Will My First Employer Know?

Options
  • 27-02-2019 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey guys,

Need some expert help here. I am working full time (35 hours/week, pays 31k/year) and am taking a second job now that is about 10-15 hours/week (remote work though the company is in Ireland). I am single.

My current company pays me via PAYE and the new company will do the same. The new company knows about my first job but the first job people doesn't and I am planning not to tell them as it is a remote job anyways.

Is there a way for them to know about the second job from my tax papers?

Please help.
    Tagged:

Comments

Any full time job I have had previously contains something in the contract regarding working a second job.
    I'm pretty certain they can tell, and you may lose your first job because of it.
    Be very careful

• Registered Users Posts: 4 farluhan

Any full time job I have had previously contains something in the contract regarding working a second job.
    I'm pretty certain they can tell, and you may lose your first job because of it.
    Be very careful

My contract doesn't say anything against taking on a new work.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Solely in respect of the tax paperwork question, neither employer should see anything from Revenue about the other.

However presumably your tax credits and standard rate cut-off ( the amount you can earn at 20% ) are allocated to job 1. Your tax credits are used fully at Job 1. So there would be no additional credits for Job 2. However as you are single you can earn €35,300 at 20% in 2019. You say current pay is €31,000 so you have spare you can earn at 20% of ~ €4,300. Depending on what the 10-15 hours pw will pay, you would owe 20% on €4,300 of that and €40% on all above.

So if you do nothing then Job 2 will initially tax you 20% on up to €679pw for weeks 1-4 then 40% after that on all, plus 8% USC on all. You can request a RPN (Revenue Payroll Notification) from Revenue, you can do that through MyAccount with just zero credits and cut-off on it. Any excess tax paid could be reclaimed from Revenue at year end.

You could also choose to allocate ~€4,000 of your spare standard rate band to Job 2 so at least you'd only pay 20% on up to that much. So you increase your take home pay. If you reallocate some cut-off then Job 1 would get a new RPN. All it would do is drop the cut-off to closer to your top wage amount. It wouldn't change your deductions at Job 1. Depending on how curious the payroll dept was, they might wonder/speculate why but really it's none of their business.

Your new tax credit cert would show both employers listed for your ref, but the employer only sees their data.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

farluhan wrote: »
    My contract doesn't say anything against taking on a new work.
    Is there anything in it about the 1974 Occupational hrs at work, or what ever it is called.
    I am limited to working 40 hrs a week in all employments.

Re your question
    Is there a way for them to know about the second job from my tax papers?

NO

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is there anything in it about the 1974 Occupational hrs at work, or what ever it is called.
    I am limited to working 40 hrs a week in all employments.

Its 48 per week in average.

Both should be askinf you about other jobs. But if neither does ...juat don't lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Its 48 per week in average.

Both should be askinf you about other jobs. But if neither does ...just don't lie.
    Organisation of Working Time Act, 1997

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/20/section/15/enacted/en/html#sec15

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 farluhan

Stratvs wrote: »
    Solely in respect of the tax paperwork question, neither employer should see anything from Revenue about the other.

However presumably your tax credits and standard rate cut-off ( the amount you can earn at 20% ) are allocated to job 1. Your tax credits are used fully at Job 1. So there would be no additional credits for Job 2. However as you are single you can earn €35,300 at 20% in 2019. You say current pay is €31,000 so you have spare you can earn at 20% of ~ €4,300. Depending on what the 10-15 hours pw will pay, you would owe 20% on €4,300 of that and €40% on all above.

So if you do nothing then Job 2 will initially tax you 20% on up to €679pw for weeks 1-4 then 40% after that on all, plus 8% USC on all. You can request a RPN (Revenue Payroll Notification) from Revenue, you can do that through MyAccount with just zero credits and cut-off on it. Any excess tax paid could be reclaimed from Revenue at year end.

You could also choose to allocate ~€4,000 of your spare standard rate band to Job 2 so at least you'd only pay 20% on up to that much. So you increase your take home pay. If you reallocate some cut-off then Job 1 would get a new RPN. All it would do is drop the cut-off to closer to your top wage amount. It wouldn't change your deductions at Job 1. Depending on how curious the payroll dept was, they might wonder/speculate why but really it's none of their business.

Your new tax credit cert would show both employers listed for your ref, but the employer only sees their data.

That answers my question. Thanks a lot for that. I get paid 2580 monthly on job 1 and if I get say, 2000/month on Job 2, then within month 8, I will hit the threashhold of 35,300 eur. So on month 9, will my first job still see a 20% cut and the 2nd job see a 40% cut?

Is that how it is?

Thanks again for being awesome.

That answers my question. Thanks a lot for that. I get paid 2580 monthly on job 1 and if I get say, 2000/month on Job 2, then within month 8, I will hit the threashhold of 35,300 eur. So on month 9, will my first job still see a 20% cut and the 2nd job see a 40% cut?

Is that how it is?

Normally your salary is averaged across the year so if your yearly salary is into the higher rate of tax you will pay tax at the higher rate from month 1.

That’s if you have it all properly sorted out with your employers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Is that how it is?

No not like that. As poster Nox001 said where there is expectation of higher rate then you pay a bit all through the year not just when the total hits the COP (standard rate cut-off point)

If you're going to have €30,960 at Job 1 and €12,000 on Job 2 then at €42,960 you will exceed the annual €35,500 COP. You'd have a couple of choices but 1 is really best done at start of year.

1. Split the COP between the jobs in some manner so you'd pay some 20% and 40% at each. You'd pay more tax at Job 1 and the same amount less at Job 2.
    But that can get messy if you do it part way through the year.

2. Keep enough COP to get all Job 1 at 20%. Basically as I said in original post. Then all €30,960 at Job1 is at 20%.
    Transfer the remaining €4,540 of the COP to Job2. So you'd pay 20% on that and 40% on the rest. But you'd be paying 20% and 40% each pay period not 20% at the start and 40% later.

Both methods end up at the same place, it's just for cashflow/bills etc you'd have certainty with Job 1 staying as is then if Job 2 varied or didn't work out you wouldn't have to go changing things round again.

If you were going to do this when you've the employer number etc. you could ring Revenue helpline and explain what you want to do and they'd adjust for you. They will also have available your pay to date form the employer's filings under the new PAYE system so they can see what you've earned since Jan 19 and best advise on the split.

Advertisement