Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my dog old & Insurance

Options
  • 27-02-2019 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

My dog is 7 1/2 now, she's a cross between a spaniel and maybe a beagle or a pointer, I have a vet plan for her, that covers vet visits, for some reason I had it in my head that it covered surgery but it doesn't, Id need insurance for surgery which I dont have.

Recently she had a lump that got large and developed quickly and had to be removed in surgery, the vet said that it was cancerous and a type that could come back, but that it was outside a certain layer of skin and they did their best and removed it all as far as they can tell. While they said there was no guarantee it would not return, they thought it was less likely.
    Not long before this I was considering looking into insurance and it just went onto the back burner.
    I made a point of availing of my current vet plan as a follow up after the surgery. I asked what would the likelyhood that I could get insurance now, they mentioned that she would be considered an old dog (they said geriatric specifically) and probably not likely, I was surprised.
    She still behaves in ways I think is like a puppy, it just seems to be her temperament and nature and she has always been that way, not disobedient, just playful like she never got out of that stage, as mentioned not even 8.

I was thinking of following up with them to get details of the cancer and surgery to see if I could show what the chances of a recurrence would be to an insurer.
    Id prefer have some insurance set up than have to find 550 or so again at short notice, in case it comes up again.

Is it likely I'll get insurance? if so with who and how much might it cost?

Is my dog actually considered old, I expected she'd live till she was at least 15 maybe even 18.
    If insurance isnt likely or would have limitations, I will have to consider putting away an equivalent amount so that I'll have the money set aside.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I don't think you'll get insurance and even if you did your dog unfortunately now has a pre-existing condition :( and that definitely wouldn't be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

1874 wrote: »
    My dog is 7 1/2 now, she's a cross between a spaniel and maybe a beagle or a pointer, I have a vet plan for her, that covers vet visits, for some reason I had it in my head that it covered surgery but it doesn't, Id need insurance for surgery which I dont have.

Recently she had a lump that got large and developed quickly and had to be removed in surgery, the vet said that it was cancerous and a type that could come back, but that it was outside a certain layer of skin and they did their best and removed it all as far as they can tell. While they said there was no guarantee it would not return, they thought it was less likely.
    Not long before this I was considering looking into insurance and it just went onto the back burner.
    I made a point of availing of my current vet plan as a follow up after the surgery. I asked what would the likelyhood that I could get insurance now, they mentioned that she would be considered an old dog (they said geriatric specifically) and probably not likely, I was surprised.
    She still behaves in ways I think is like a puppy, it just seems to be her temperament and nature and she has always been that way, not disobedient, just playful like she never got out of that stage, as mentioned not even 8.

I was thinking of following up with them to get details of the cancer and surgery to see if I could show what the chances of a recurrence would be to an insurer.
    Id prefer have some insurance set up than have to find 550 or so again at short notice, in case it comes up again.

Is it likely I'll get insurance? if so with who and how much might it cost?

Is my dog actually considered old, I expected she'd live till she was at least 15 maybe even 18.
    If insurance isnt likely or would have limitations, I will have to consider putting away an equivalent amount so that I'll have the money set aside.

Even if you take out the insurance, all previously diagnosed & / or treatments would be considered pre existing and wouldn’t be covered that includes surgery related to the cancer.

IMO you be better off putting away the monies each month at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

So is she old? hardly older than middle age, but I never viewed her as old, thought of her as a grown up pup, I know she isnt a puppy, but I just never thought of her as old, I dont know how old she will get, I thought dogs live to about 18 for some reason, anyone in our family that had a dog, the dogs grew old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

How long they live depends on a variety of factors - their size, breeds/cross, their care & a big one imo - their weight for their size. Lean fit dogs tend to live longer as do most of the terriers. 18 is not an unrealistic age for my terriers. For a Spaniel/Pointer cross a good age is 12 to 14 years but it does vary a bit. Large Breeds tend to have a shorter live span.

It will be interesting to see if dogs who are raw fed will live longer then the breed average.

At 7 your dog is not old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Fed mostly dry food, ok quality but not science plan, weight is slightly over, but not much.

Id wondered regarding the mass that was removed, would treatments have any influence, Ive been giving my dog approved anti flea and sometimes tick treatments. Its called prinovox, there was a different type before that brand. I came across someone years ago that swore against them stating they were the cause of dog cancers, didnt think anything of it until this, but as there are a lot of stray cats about here I dont feel like I have an option as I see the cats about when the dog is not out the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

at 7 your dog isnt old. ours is 12 so probably considered old by most although we can still see the mischievous puppy in her:)

she has a growth, benign, that needs removing every 3 months. our vet removes it and charges 70/80 euro including previsit and antibiotics. he's absolutely excellent and for our girl we'd pay anything. have no idea if this price is better or worse than other vets but we're so happy with his service we coukd never imagine going to another vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

I wouldn’t consider 7 old either, but for some reason or another the insurance companies do.

We’ve a 3 yr Yorkie x and an 8 mos old spitz and she makes Mr C seem ancient.

Been up since 7 am and is still going, I think she had a hours worth of of a nap....

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

We’ve had pet insurance since our dog was a puppy, is 7.5 now, golden retriever
    Once they’re over 7, the pet insurance no longer covers 100% of a claim (minus excess), this year it’s 80% I think , next year it’ll be less again, and on and down on, not sure when they stop covering
    7 is the age pet insurance use as old
    Vet told us that last year, we also needed a lump taken out, vet knew it was just a cyst but said let’s take it out and get it checked before she’s 7 as afterwards you’ll end up not getting it all reimbursed
    Next time he said he’d know it was fine and not bother taking it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I believe dogs are considered geriatric/senior at age 7. Larger breeds are considered geriatric/senior at age 6 (they typically are not as long lived as smaller breeds)
    Ive had a JRT X that lived to 17 years old. I have his nephew, and he seems to be ageing less well at nearly 10 years old... I firmly believe that keeping weight off, and feeding as good quality food as possible helps. I give my dogs oils and various supplements to help with joints and general health. Exercise and activity, as with humans is very important too.

OP you probably wont get insurance now for your 7 year old, and as he has this precondition, nothing related would be covered anyway,
    so definitely a good idea to start putting money aside every week as a precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

Some insurance companies wont over over 5 years of age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Most insurers won't cover for older than 7 as they are considered 'old' in policy terms as they are more likely to claim. As others have said you would probably be best putting away some money for any eventualities in the future.

I had my dog insured for years but when I moved to the UK it didn't transfer. I thought she was too old to get new insurance. As she is a rescue I wasn't totally sure of her age but she got back from the vet the other day and it turns out she is 7. So I immediately rang the insurance to see if I can get cover for her. We can. However, she has recently had surgery for her cruciate ligament (which cos an fecking fortune) so that is pre existing and not covered. Arthrtitis is not covered either as she is likely to get that due to the surgery. So in effect her two rear legs are not covered. Having recently lost my other dear pooch to cancer though I didn't want to worry about any other eventualities. So I have taken out the lifetime cover for her and will also squirral away a few quid and hope she doesn't do her other cruciate. We have gone with Petplan over here who are underwritten by Allianz who are reputed to be the best in Ireland. I also worked in insurance for years so have a fair idea of what to look for.

Just posting the above so you can make an informed decision. If you do go ahead make sure you are honest and get the exclusions as at least you will be covered for any unseens or else put some dollars away. I would never want to make a decision on my dogs welfare based on what was in my bank account. Hope that helps

Advertisement