Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a strimmer for me please?

Options
  • 27-02-2019 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good strimmer to me?

Needs to be petrol as I have a big area.

Ideally I’d like it to be very easy to load the string into.  And it needs to be fairly strong but not to the level of doing heavy long grass areas. The corners etc I need it for are pretty well under control.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

Can anyone recommend a good strimmer to me?

Needs to be petrol as I have a big area.

Ideally I’d like it to be very easy to load the string into.  And it needs to be fairly strong but not to the level of doing heavy long grass areas. The corners etc I need it for are pretty well under control.

Thanks in advance.

Whatever you buy put one of these heads on it. https://www.mowerparts.ie/desert-hawk-strimmer-head-326-p.asp
    Its one where you cut a piece of line and feed it in. A lot of waste but a good quality string like Vortex will last.

Best bet is go in to a dealer and look at stihl or Husqvarna if you have the money. Same dealer might er have some cheaper models as well

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Whatever you buy put one of these heads on it. https://www.mowerparts.ie/desert-hawk-strimmer-head-326-p.asp
    Its one where you cut a piece of line and feed it in. A lot of waste but a good quality string like Vortex will last.

Best bet is go in to a dealer and look at stihl or Husqvarna if you have the money. Same dealer might er have some cheaper models as well

Couldn't agree more. You'll never have to fight with a bump feed one again and have it falling apart on you as you try to reload.

I got my local garden tool place to replace mine, but probably a job you could do yourself easily enough.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zerodis-Universal-Aluminium-Strimmer-Accessory/dp/B07D2HV54J/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1551346400&sr=8-19&keywords=strimmer+head

As for the strimmer itself, I have a cheap generic Chinese one, and its served me well over about 5 years. Even if it died now I would have got plenty of value out of it.
    When it does die I'll probably look for a better quality model, in the hope of it lasting a lifetime.

Don't be afraid to look for a good quality 2nd hand one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

All depends on budget.
    Something like this will last 3-5 years if doing anfair area.

A Sthikl or Huskavarna will last a lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

_Brian wrote: »
    All depends on budget.
    Something like this will last 3-5 years if doing anfair area.

A Sthikl or Huskavarna will last a lifetime.

14e per year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭CoBo55

4 stroke too, you might stand a chance of starting the busturd!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 deccydohc

There's a few things to take into consideration when buying a new strimmer.

Do you prefer Loop Handle or Bike Handle style?
    Will you need a blade aswell as a Nylon trimming head?
    Will you be using it for long enough periods?

Some of the the more premium model strimmers come with blades and harnesses worth €100 +

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My advice would be to consider how much strimming you will really do in one go and how hard and long the strimmer will be working to do it...and then get the lightest one possible that will do the job. Most people don't do much more than half an hours worth of strimming in one go around their garden...

Strimming with a big, heavy, awkward yoke of a thing is no fun after a while. Especially some of the value for money offers are badly overweight (and sometimes even overpowered)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I once ended up with a Council verge cutting contract. I much prefer a good bump head & provided they are loaded correctly, they work well. We used to have one loaded on the machine & one in a pocket. We preferred a thinner line as it travels faster & cuts cleaner.

The key is good technique to avoid cutting each blade more than once. A strimmer will naturally move the grass to one side. We learned to cut on one sweep & then lift the machine back to the start point rather than just cutting from side to side. So you get rows of cut grass.

I prefer loop handles & my preferred machine is a Stihl Combi. One engine that can power a whole range of excellent tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Bricriu

Husqvarna make very good strimmers, but you need to pay over €500 for a good one that will cut all types of grass and last for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Would also recommend a Husqvarna but have a look at the on Sam Turner & Son https://www.sam-turner.co.uk/garden-machinery/brushcutters-grass-trimmers.html

Some are hundreds cheaper than you would pay here and with the Sterling/Euro prices at the moment, you can't go wrong! They also ship to Ireland at a very reasonable price.

Advertisement