Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Current account switch - AIB vs EBS? Is it worth choosing AIB?

Options
  • 26-02-2019 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I have decided to switch my current account to another bank. I have either AIB or EBS in mind.

I wont be using apple pay, google pay etc.

I dont want credit card as well.

I have N26, Revolut, Skrill prepaid cards.

This current account would be used to receive my salary, grocery shopping, online purchases, ATM withdrawals etc. I would be able to keep Euro 2500 at all times.

What makes me lean towards EBS is the lack of any charges, even though the account offers only basic services.

So bit confused whether it would be worth switching to AIB.

Appreciate any advice ...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

TestLink wrote: »
    I have decided to switch my current account to another bank. I have either AIB or EBS in mind.

I won't be using apple pay, google pay etc.

I dont want credit card as well.

I have N26, Revolut, Skrill prepaid cards.

This current account would be used to receive my salary, grocery shopping, online purchases, ATM withdrawals etc. I would be able to keep Euro 2500 at all times.

What makes me lean towards EBS is the lack of any charges, even though the account offers only basic services.

So bit confused whether it would be worth switching to AIB.

Appreciate any advice ...

I think you should switch to EBS I mean what have you got to lose there are no charges for their basic account and aren't AIB quite expensive with monthly charges?

The downside is I don't think EBS have a mobile app so you have to use their website but that's only a small thing plus it's one less app to have on the phone but apart from that I don't see any down sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Just be aware that EBS don't have contactless.

AFAIK salary can be paid to N26, (maybe other posters can confirm).

CCPC comparison page...
    https://compare.ccpc.ie/CurrentAccountSearch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Ten Pin wrote: »

AFAIK salary can be paid to N26, (maybe other posters can confirm).

As long as your employer abides by the law, yes they have an obligation to accept to pay you to any SEPA euro account, including an N26 one.

Now of course if they don't want to or have a backwards payroll system which doesn't support it (it can happen!), even though it is illegal you might not want to create legal troubles for them :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭TestLink

RHJ wrote: »
    I think you should switch to EBS I mean what have you got to lose there are no charges for their basic account and aren't AIB quite expensive with monthly charges?

The downside is I don't think EBS have a mobile app so you have to use their website but that's only a small thing plus it's one less app to have on the phone but apart from that I don't see any down sides.

AIB website mentions that if 2500 is kept at all times there are no charges. So is AIB not better than EBS?

I only want to pay my salary to a main stream bank in Ireland to be on safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

Is it possible to log into the EBS account on a phone via a browser?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

TestLink wrote: »
    AIB website mentions that if 2500 is kept at all times there are no charges. So is AIB not better than EBS?

As long as someone is willing to leave 2500 on the account at all times, I think it is a no brainer yes and they should go for AIB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

For me, I would always be hesitant on leaving large sums of money in my current account due to the risk of fraud and I disagree on a security standpoint with banks that insist that you leave large amounts of cash in a current account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

alwald wrote: »
    Is it possible to log into the EBS account on a phone via a browser?

Yes but no app, no Google Pay, no Apple Pay, no contactless and not great features with their online banking.

Advertisement