Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm I the only one scared of early hot weather !?

Options
  • 26-02-2019 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Surely some people loves warmer days and longer day light but i am scared to the bone that my trees and my plants will suffer a shock later in the coming months,March, possible a frost or cold shower will damage ireversible the flowers adn the new buds.

Seems like out of normal...i cant plant the seeds in the greenhouse,i moved some of my containers trees deeper at the shadow of the wall or other plants just to delay the flowers / buds to appear.

Daytime in greenhouse is over 30ish while night time lower than 5.

What do you think...can we enjoy today the warmer days or prepare for the worst !? Or,the new abnormal becomes, normal...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Keeping an eye on the forecast and hoping not to have to run out with fleece but nervous for the orchard alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Why worry about things you can't change?

Looking forward to the dry warmer evenings when I can get outside the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Why worry about things you can't change?

Looking forward to the dry warmer evenings when I can get outside the door.

Great,thanks.Looking forward to myself..

In case you have noticed,i have asked on "gardening" topic how to manage the risk of having plants/vegies in the greenhouse now or trees with flowers AND maybe next week a cold weather front / shower / rain could damage your "things" !?

rolion wrote: »
    Great,thanks.Looking forward to myself..

In case you have noticed,i have asked on "gardening" topic how to manage the risk of having plants/vegies in the greenhouse now or trees with flowers AND maybe next week a cold weather front / shower / rain could damage your "things" !?

You can only plan for what you know.
    Weather is an unknown .... generally ...and has an element of risk.
    If you have trees outdoors (I've 8 apple trees planted since last week) there is nothing you can do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just noticed this morning that we already have dicentra in flower - some shoots only a few inches tall have already flowered.

• Advertisement

just noticed this morning that we already have dicentra in flower - some shoots only a few inches tall have already flowered.

I moved all the flowers in the GreenHouse.

Last night,i was going to every tree in the garden and gave them a good shake,to get all the frozen bits off the buds and tree branches.

I have few trees planted in containers and with blossom / flowers on it.
    I moved them out of the reach of the rain/snow/cold wind and it looks like they made it untouched.
    Feel sorry for the Japanese Cherry that its flowers are "growing" down rather than up,they are dying for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

wondering how you are faring in this current icy spell?

Graces7 wrote: »
    wondering how you are faring in this current icy spell?

More to be feared than a bit of sunshine ;)

Well,i will say bad...

I lost one cherry tree.
    The four "twin-fruit-one-tree" i had to move in the Greenouse while others covering or sheltering inside house.

One word... punished like a sinner...

476911.jpg

476912.jpg

476913.jpg

476914.jpg

476915.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,201 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Early hot weather?

It was snowing up here this morning!!

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Early hot weather?

It was snowing up here this morning!!

Here too but we opened the topic couple of weeks ago when we feared spring came way too early and on a false track for the poor trees !

I will say some of them have been already compromissed.

476917.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

These aren't untypical temperatures for April and is not a prolonged cold snap. I would have little worries about any of my seedlings or fruit trees. We often have sharp frosts for days on end in April, when buds and flowers are further on than they are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Typical Ireland, no March heatware lasts! :D

I've left the potted apple tree (one year) outside and it's grand but I'm sowing indoors in a heated propagator.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭jaffa20

It horribly cold. I was looking forward to the brighter evenings to get out into the garden and then this comes after the lovely weather last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

More to be feared than a bit of sunshine ;)

Lost some of my broad beans....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

jaffa20 wrote: »
    It horribly cold. I was looking forward to the brighter evenings to get out into the garden and then this comes after the lovely weather last week.

It's still only 3rd April. Very early days for the garden. The average night temperature for the month of April is 3 degrees. The northerly air flow is giving wind chill but that won't do growth any harm.

It's really into May before we get the benefit of longer days and weather more conducive to gardening for many.

Advertisement