Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclo cross vs Mountain bike

Options
  • 26-02-2019 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭

So it's coming up to a new bike time and I've been thinking about getting something a bit different than what I have. I'm trying to decide between a decent hard tail mountain bike and a cyclo cross bike. It won't be used extensively and will be more for a bit of craic when I fancy a break from the roads and turbo. Idea is to hopefully improve my bike handling and cornering! It will mainly be used on fire road with some off road, more so in parks and country estates than proper mountain bike trails. I can't see myself ever doing any downhill or enduro or anything either. Even typing that out I'm thinking a cyclocross bike is probably more what I'm looking for?? Any opinions on decent bikes, budget isn't too high, I'd say max 1500, but if it was worth it I could maybe go a little higher. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

If you don't plan hitting twisty & rocky MTB trails, a gravel / cyclocross bike is all you need for fire roads and such. And will have a feeling close to a road bike when getting to places, while even a hardtail (not to mention dual suspension rigs) is a chore on the road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

What Alek said, mountain bike can be a pain when you've long stretches of road between off road bits as is very often the case in Ireland. CX bike is great fun for mixed road and fire road spins. Also easier to carry on those occasions where you run out of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I was at that same decision point about 3 years ago Joey. I went with a mountain bike (recently sold on here) and I have to say, for me, it was a mistake. I had no outlet to use a mtb despite the allure of all you describe.

I picked up a cx bike last month and already using it more than I ever used the mtb. Will be adding road disc wheels in a few months and thereby reducing the fleet size by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

A mountain bike is best if you really want to ride mtb trails - much better for rough off road trails. Failing that, a cx or gravel bike is much more versatile for mixed road and off road rides. Consider a 'gravel' or 'all road' bike as opposed to cx. Generally clearance for wider tyres, lower gear and space for mud guards etc too. Makes a very good commuter and tourer as well as off road bike.

Advertisement